Discuss Getting a bit confused with this EVCP install! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from another thread I have some more pictures and some more information. There are 2 questions in bold.

The customer has bought the avant rapid charger 400V/16A (moder number A426117), this is to charge the Avant Electric compact wheel loader, model e6.

The charger looks like it has a 5 pin commando plug, so I need to fit a 16A 3 phase commando socket.

Neither the charger or the loader have built in RCD protection or PEN fault protection.

The earthing system is PME for the electrical supply. The Electric vehicle is getting housed in the meter room, so I cant see any way of making the EVCP TT (to avoid Matt:e) as it will be simultaneously accessible to the many MET points in the meter room.

I plan to fit a matt:e for upstream of the commando socket, is that right? My confusion is that both Avant and the wholesaler now nothing about this. They don't have this installed for any of their chargers and I fully expect they are all protected with a type AC RCD!

Second question. Will I need a type B RCD upstream of the commando socket? Again, neither Avant nor the wholesaler had any understanding of RCD requirements. I cant see how a type A RCD will be ok as there is nothing in the literature about the charger being able to disconnect in the event of DC fault >6mA (i.e reg 722.531.2.101)

Thanks in advance 😀

charger.jpg commando.jpg

I think Lister may be right, looking at the item this doesn't look like an EVCP, but instead a charger for a standard style battery.

I would suggest you contact the manufacturer, if it just charges at 12/24/48V or whatever, it is merely a standard appliance supplied via a 16A outlet. In which case it just needs the same attention as any other socket outlet.

Yessss....... personally I'd have said that as it's come wired with a 3PNE then all you have to ensure is compliance with the usual 30mA socket outlet regulations. And as both above have said, that looks more like a universal forklift charger to me!

Agree - check with Avant but I think this is a standard 48V electric workplace vehicle like a fork or MEWP. The mains voltage never leaves the charger, the vehicle side is all ELV, so none of the usual EVCP stuff would apply. RCD type obviously still important as the charger electronics can create DC leakage.

Reply to Getting a bit confused with this EVCP install! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net