Discuss Could having both factory tweeters and coaxial speakers be overloading my head unit amp? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My head unit overloads whenever I play bass-heavy music, if it gets too bassy, the sound will cut off completely and won't come back until hours later when it has reset. I have alpine coaxial speakers (RMS 60 W, peak power 240 W, impedance = 4 ohms) and a sony dsxa410 head unit (4 x 55 W, impedance = 4-8 ohms). When I put the speakers in, i didn't remove the factory tweeters in the door already, could this be why my head unit gets overloaded and shuts power off? Should I remove the tweeters?
Cheers.

TL;DR
Can having factory tweeters along with coaxial speakers overload the head unit amp?
The only way you will realistically damage the amplifier stage in the head unit is if the speaker impedance is less than it can drive. It depends how you have wired your speakers.

Measure the resistance at the speaker wires. Measure this at the head unit end, but with them disconnected. Make sure this figure is equal to or higher than the spec for the head unit. It will probably be 2, 4 or 8 ohms.

Reply to Could having both factory tweeters and coaxial speakers be overloading my head unit amp? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock