Discuss Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
Not sure this is the right place to post so will move / delete if needed.
Just wondering if anyone could go back to working with just a standard mobile phone and text messages?
Obviously smartphones can be very useful and I would miss the camera, but just wondering if I could go back to life without one and check whatever needed checking when I got back on my laptop as I used to.
Whats everyone think?
Impossible nowadays?

Obviously I will keep an eye for any replies on my iphone!!! 😀

Unfortunately everything seems to need the installation manual downloading from the internet, or setting up via an app, so it would likely be difficult. I used a digital camera for years even when out work phones started having cameras built in as early models were not good, lacked a flash etc.

My personal mobile phone is 20 years old and does all I need it to.

The phone and data signals are so poor here most of the time my work smart phone is useless anyway, getting fed up of walking ages to try to get a signal to make a call, and mobile internet is a joke. I spent Saturday working in a factory, had to keep going up to roof level to make calls to someone programming remotely, then going back down to check at the equipment. The supplier hasn't enabled wifi calling on our work phones so I can't use my 4g wifi router to make calls. I have it in the van to get internet from another mobile provider, essential for setting some things up.

It is the way of the world but progress is progress. Telex machines, fax machines all past redundant technology which I'm sure will eventually include smart phones.

I look forward to being able io implant my sim card directly into my brain so that I no longer need to physically carry a phone

I'm not sure I would want to go back to not having one TBH.
I fill out certs on mine, use it as a satnav when plugged in to the van, play music through it, invoicing software on it for little jobs, camera, order parts online, banking app, downloading manuals, wifi calling when out of signal and most importantly browsing the forum at lunchtime :D

I'm not sure I would want to go back to not having one TBH.
I fill out certs on mine, use it as a satnav when plugged in to the van, play music through it, invoicing software on it for little jobs, camera, order parts online, banking app, downloading manuals, wifi calling when out of signal and most importantly browsing the forum at lunchtime :D
And how much does that cost per month/year?

To think, we used to get by with a van and toolbox.

In an emergency, it was find a land line or phone box.........and, in many cases, it was still quicker getting the blue lights to site than it is today.

I use a phone as necessary and find most smartphone activity to be superfluous. I also refuse to be beholden to one and answer calls or messages when it's convenient to do so - if someone wants an instant response every time they whistle, then I ain't the man they're looking for.

Initially I got one a smartfone to save running back and forth checking emails, then found a few useful aps, but would quite happily do without one. Older style of mobile would fulfill the vast majority of my requirements and probably make for a better quality of life.

Most of you are at least as old as me, so remember the time when phone calls meant something. They involved going to the coldest part of your home or shuffling off to a phonebox/neighbours house and reasonable expense - mostly calls were made for good reason and answered because they usually provided information of some importance. If making plans, whether for a night out or lifts to work, you got a time and made sure you were ready to go. Anyone who wasn't where they ought to be at the designated time either went home or missed out on a day's pay/night out. Now it's call, message, email ad nauseam with the expectation that everyone should jump to attention, ready to do whatever they're bid. A lot of people have lost their sense of perspective with regard to what is, and what isn't, of real importance and much of that is directly related to everyone having a damned smartphone in their pocket.

It's not technology I have an issue with, but people's attitude towards it.

I use a phone as necessary and find most smartphone activity to be superfluous. I also refuse to be beholden to one and answer calls or messages when it's convenient to do so - if someone wants an instant response every time they whistle, then I ain't the man they're looking for.

It's not technology I have an issue with, but people's attitude towards it.
Agree.
But, then again, with loads of family hospital problems, iphones, etc, have proved to be a bit of a useful necessity over the last couple or years.

About the only thing my iPhone is used for is downloading the status of my Aico alarms and sending to the report software on my laptop, total cost per year is between £10 and £12 not a miss type that is per year.

Much like the rest of you, I started working life without a phone.
The only piece of technology in the van was a cassette deck on the radio… and the only apprentice distraction was bringing in the Daily Sport for “reading the interesting articles”

Even with just a crossword in the paper, we could still stretch out a 10 minute break to half an hour…. And a half hour lunch to 90 minutes.

I also agree we can’t do without one now. For the reasons already mentioned… but satnav, when you can’t find the house you’re looking for…. Online crosswords…. So you don’t have to buy a newspaper… (add that up over 5 days a week, 40+ weeks of the year… it’s a money saver)…… Clarification of jobs… certain details might need changed before doing something which could be costly if wrong

To think, we used to get by with a van and toolbox.

In an emergency, it was find a land line or phone box.........and, in many cases, it was still quicker getting the blue lights to site than it is today.
a pre paid Phone card was an essential bit of kit back in the day incase you didn't have any change on you

Where do you stop though? OK, don't have a smart phone - just have a mobile phone. But why have a mobile phone at all - just have a wired home phone. But then why not go back to writing letters. Stone tablets??? Steam cars??

Just embrace technology, but don't let it rule you. I've got a decent Samsung S series smartphone, bought second hand (£130 2 years ago) and a £7 per month SIM. I can take photos, browse the web, use Google maps, book tickets, report issues. Anything a £1000 phone can to be honest. But if I don't want to be disturbed then it just goes on silent. Easy.

Last edited:
I have a Googoe Pixel 6 Pro - my old phone was 6 years old and playing up

However, I have a different operating system - Graphene OS on my new Google phone and it is much better
It loads quicker and does not let Google track and send lots of data (for techies the Google stuff operates in a sandbox and this restricts Google Play)

It also records calls if I want (by pressing a button on the call screen), something Google Andriod used to do but tries now to prohibit

My contract is a 30 day rolling one, which is £10 per month

More info

Technology is now a necessary evil in 99% of peoples lives today. Pandoras box has been opened and just wait till AI takes fully hold. Will make todays Tech look like a black board

Reply to Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net