Discuss Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I did away with mobile phones over 2 years ago.

At first it does feel a bit strange, more so because people can't reach you with annoying texts like, 'can you put the dinner on as I'm going to be late' or 'my mum is coming over tonight, please try and be nice'

Customers can't ring and ask where you are when you're sat in Tesco cafe having a full breakfast, and it no longer can ring when I'm at the top of a ladder and I forget to hold on as I fumble for the phone!

It caused trouble when I first stopped using it as everyone wanted me to keep it, but once you get through that barrier it's a kind of a peace I just can't put into words!

Of course you or anyone could, they don’t run cables or terminate equipment but do make communication or accessing product details as and when needed etc. much easier.

Just as this thread started, Macdonalds has a new tv advert showing a guy in an office “stuck in the past” with corded phone, green monochrome crt computer screen and crocket and tubbs suit.

Accept technology for the good it can do… don’t let it rule your life…. And don’t blame it for every negative headline in the news.

The human race has always been a violent, nasty place to live…. Well before the internet or horror films came to be.

Just embrace technology, but don't let it rule you. I've got a decent Samsung S series smartphone, bought second hand (£130 2 years ago) and a £7 per month SIM. I can take photos, browse the web, use Google maps, book tickets, report issues. Anything a £1000 phone can to be honest. But if I don't want to be disturbed then it just goes on silent. Easy.

That's how I do it - top of the range, but a couple of models back, costs around £100 a time and Tesco sim only deal at reasonable rate.

I don't understand the mentality of so many people who rush out and drop £1500 every time a new model is released. I really don't understand people who are permanently glued to their phone or who drop everything to grab it when it makes a noise.

I do find it very convenient being able to often say "please text me your address".
But I think the key is not being a slave to it.
A wonderful scene in "A touch of Frost" comes to mind. He had three trays, "In", "Out", and "LBW".
LBW stood for 'let the b*ggers wait". I'm quite happy not to be talking to some people haggling about the price to change the plug on a washing machine while I'm earning decent money on an "it takes as long as it takes" job.

I do find it very convenient being able to often say "please text me your address".
But I think the key is not being a slave to it.
A wonderful scene in "A touch of Frost" comes to mind. He had three trays, "In", "Out", and "LBW".
LBW stood for 'let the b*ggers wait". I'm quite happy not to be talking to some people haggling about the price to change the plug on a washing machine while I'm earning decent money on an "it takes as long as it takes" job.

I guard my mobile number quite close- my friends, family and very regular customers have it.

Others are given the business number which informs people that calls are recorded etc., these calls are also logged it comes in handy

For example one agent had a tenant trying it on (needed to top up meter - wanted agent to send an electricain in- no addtional needs present)
Tenant was informed if I went and it was not the landlords fault he may be charged for the visit, then had the brass neck to tell the agent he informed me that he would not be paying any costs and I had agreed.
Agent then says- Stewart records the calls, I will ask him

To sum up- agent covered, tenant put in place and money saved for landlord. Agent happy

I have a cellphone that's about 8 years old. The battery doesn't last a full day anymore which suits me fine. I was so excited when I first got it, I thought it would help me manage my time better but it just turned out to be more of a distraction and time waster than anything else. I stopped carrying it after only a few months, started leaving it in the car then leaving it at home. It wasn't even good for pron, the damn screen is too small. I was very disappointed. The only thing I found it useful for was the camera but I went back to carrying a simple digital camera which works well for what I need.

Long before Phone cards. 4d cost.
999 calls free, anyway, or you could reverse the charges via the operator for normal calls.
I remember making reverse charges, I'd hear my mum sounding mad as she spoke to the operator to except the charge!

It got to the point where she'd say 'no' to the operator, and the operator would come back and say, 'you're reverse charge has been denied' then I'd ask the operator to pass her on a message.
😂

But who remembers tapping the phone to get a free call?

But did that result in a free call? The pulses were exactly the same as if you used a dial phone, so I never bought into the free call idea - remember this was a common rumour prior to the introduction of itemised billing, so how could anyone be certain unless making all calls this way and not being charged for a single call?

But did that result in a free call? The pulses were exactly the same as if you used a dial phone, so I never bought into the free call idea - remember this was a common rumour prior to the introduction of itemised billing, so how could anyone be certain unless making all calls this way and not being charged for a single call?

Tapping the hook switch on a home telephone mimicked the pulse dialling that the dial performed. Tapping once, then twice, then three times would dial the speaking clock very easily.

This could still be done in some areas until comparatively recently, until the last of the mechanical (Strowger I think) equipment in the exchanges was ripped out.

Cost was not affected - the system couldn't differentiate between the tapping or dial pulses.

Not sure if there was a similar 'hack' which might work in call boxes though and result in free calls?

Tapping the hook switch on a home telephone mimicked the pulse dialling that the dial performed. Tapping once, then twice, then three times would dial the speaking clock very easily.

This could still be done in some areas until comparatively recently, until the last of the mechanical (Strowger I think) equipment in the exchanges was ripped out.

Cost was not affected - the system couldn't differentiate between the tapping or dial pulses.

Not sure if there was a similar 'hack' which might work in call boxes though and result in free calls?
Spot on - but the phones in supermarkets to pickup and auto-dial a taxi could be 'confused' into making a free call if you were patient enough to play the game!

Yes from a telephone box.

Reply to Could you work without a smartphone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net