Discuss Council lock-up power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Scotty_B

Forgive me as I know pretty much nothing regarding electrical work but I'm sure someone on this forum can help me out.

I've own an ex-council garage which is at the top of my street.*It uses a low power bulb so i guessing it doesn't have a 240v feed.

Does anyone know anything about the likely powers source as I want to add a strip light and possibly power a hoover.

Took some photos of what I have:

Council lock-up power {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Could I wire in a socket aswell?

Thanks

That little lot isn't really suitable for powering anything IMHO.

I would retain the services of a qualified spark to come and have a look and advise you accordingly.

I agree, you're a brave man even taking the cover off that box. That is very old cotton insulated cabling and I would assume its live at 230v until proven otherwise. You're going to need an qualified guy to help you out on this one I'm afraid.

I used to rent one of these places. It was one in a block of 10 garages & they had no power it them whatsoever.

Some young lads rented the one on the end of the block to use as a drinking den & whatever. Right next to this garage, was the only streetlight on the whole block & these lads tapped into it to provide leccy in their garage for lighting & an electric fire.

Now I'm not suggesting for one moment that the OP does the same thing ..... :nono:

I'm having a wild guess that your local borough council has not seen the need to use any of your hard earnt council tax to upgrade its own assets.You need two things,a qualified spark (permission sought by L.A) and a pedal generator (i use my 10 year old lad) :policeman:

It'll be 240v.
It's unlikely it has a meter for each garage, in fact it may not be metered it may have been assessed, much like street lighting.
It's probably fed from a common supply to all garages, double reds on the fuse, looped to the next garage.
The cost of the power for each was probably included in the original rent.
If you make any enquiries with the Council re upgrade, they will probably disconnect it as they are paying the bill and have responsibility for the whole system.

I'm surprised no-one else has tried to power a compressor from other garages and taken out the main fuse.

Yes asbestos seal, fine if left alone.
Double fuse unit might be of interest to a geeky olde electrical collector.

Be interesting to see how good the earth is thro' that conduit across the fuse(s) unit.
Tangent "T", switch must be underneath, and be a cast box with brass switch toggle switch.

Smashed many of those up in past years.
3/4 conduit, brass 2ba screws,, it's all coming back now.

Last edited:
Scotty I can not imagine any of us on here saying .................yes to that last question

Looking at that GEC accessory I think you could have something there that is post war ,the second world one and could well be 55-60 yrs old. There should be no one on here telling you plug it in and see what happens.

If it is owned by the council and you are renting it then would it be the responsibility of the coucil? I might be wrong but I thought it was.

Phew ...........................please do mate.

What I was trying to say was there is a good chance that something that old will go bang .................but there is a slim chance it might not ................but you will only find that out by giving it a thorough test mate .............

Get a sparks in who can then send a report to your local council to get it all disconnected.

There's already signs of corrosion on the lightswitch/socket combination which if hit by something may break leaveing exposed parts.

It's very likely your local council is unaware of the potential dangerous state of these garages.

edit:didn't read OP properly and missed the 'ex-council' bit so likely no need to contact the council at all.....best option is to go by post #20's advice

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Council lock-up power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock