Currently reading:
Create a safe switch that will trip RCD

Discuss Create a safe switch that will trip RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean Longstaff

So hi everyone, i have alot of electrical items in my room upstairs. And if anything were to fail i would like a switch that would turn everything in the house off. If i were to have a red emergency stop button (normally open) and connect it to a plug so that the ground wire and neutral connect when the button is pressed, would this trip the RCD in the fuse box? Also would it be safe? If not is there any safe ways of doing this? Thanks

I just have door access control system which isnt earthed. So if that were to catch fire i would like a emergency stop button to stop everything at once. Also my plug sockets ive installed throughout the home.

Is the access control system supposed to be earthed? If it is class II then it doesn't need an earth and there is no reason for it to catch fire any more than any other appliance in the house. If it is class I and should be earthed then you need to install it and wire it correctly.

What are you saying about the sockets you have installed throughout your house? Are you saying they aren't earthed?

You can't use a heath-robinson e-stop system to allow for badly installed stuff! Daz

What you need to do is purchase one of these
R763745-01.jpg

It's a fireman's switch and is designed to interrupt electrical supply in an emergency situation.

Now, take the switch, hold it above your head, and let go.

The resulting bump to the noggin should clarify your thoughts for you and make you realise that if you have done alterations to your home electrics that you fear may catch fire or be unsafe for use, calling a local electrician would be the best option and not concocting some half baked, dangerous method of cutting the power.

Think we have all had enough, thread closed.

@ Dean. Please feel free to start another thread with more concise information. If you have any trouble wording your question you can always drop myself or another member of staff a private message and ask for our assistance.

Reply to Create a safe switch that will trip RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock