Discuss Create a safe switch that will trip RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dean Longstaff

So hi everyone, i have alot of electrical items in my room upstairs. And if anything were to fail i would like a switch that would turn everything in the house off. If i were to have a red emergency stop button (normally open) and connect it to a plug so that the ground wire and neutral connect when the button is pressed, would this trip the RCD in the fuse box? Also would it be safe? If not is there any safe ways of doing this? Thanks

Just put a emergency stop switch before the wiring coming in the room

Work benches and workshops have a emergency button
I guess it's 2P2T normally closed switch

Last edited by a moderator:
Mm sounds like you are trying RCD tripper... I don't think should talk about this as people will try and trip the RCD at work or in shopping
Could trip the RCD with computers hooked up.. If you wanted

It might work some of the time, but there is no guarantee that it will work. And you would want to guarantee the operation of an emergency stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The. Neutral and earth are the same thing at some point in the system
This is a very leading questions

What's the real.reason your RCD.keeps tripping

Right No don't use a RCD as an emergency stop
It wasn't meant for that.. It's stupid thing to even suggest
It is protection not to be miss used

Okay, so if i didnt work, or if it did work is it still safe connecting neutral wire to earth wire?

Generally it is not a sensible or safe thing to do. If the RCD is working correctly then it will detect this fault and operate before it becomes dangerous, but RCDs aren't the most reliable of devices so you may get in to a situation where you are introducing a potentially dangerous fault and making the situation worse.

What exactly is it that makes you think an emergency stop is needed?

"So hi everyone, i have alot of electrical items in my room upstairs. And if anything were to fail i would like a switch that would turn everything in the house off."

I think the item you are thinking of is a consumer unit.

Go to bed,!!

English is forever changing, as it isn't a royal or set in stone.
It is a gutter speak by then people. Mixture of Latin Danish German and others have come here, so you need to keep up with it.
I don't want people playing with live wires personally.

So you help them do it

If you don't want the house RCD to turn off then have the room on its own RCBO

Last edited by a moderator:
Deliberately creating a neutral to earth fault? Really? I've heard it all now. How utterly ludicrous. Is the supply TN-S, TN-C-S or TT? Creating a fault like this may seem harmless but it could under certain circumstances create a very dangerous situation, just think what might happen if the RCD fails to operate at the same time as a break in the neutral out on the street.....

We need to understand the reason why you want to trip the RCD to the whole house if you have an issue within a certain room and what the hazards or risks are in your set-up and use as it is, although its not the usual place to put such a E-Stop system , what is required is a risk assessment. The results of the risk assessment will go most of the way to explain the system you require to do what you need, it is always best to limit any deliberate power cuts to only the area, room, outlet or load that needs to be disconnected and it also needs to be shown that losing power through a deliberate action does not provide a greater hazard than say keeping the power on and controlling the situation like in some kinds of machinery be it industrial or benchtop.

When you crash the power at home you have to remember that this can cause other issues like electronic goods failure due to the transients that can be experienced with power failure hence the action to stop power should be as local as possible.

Getting on to the act of using a deliberate fault to action a RCD to achieve this is definately a no no, unless you use a device that has been specifically designed to do this with the use of a remote action point to it.

There are no cheap solutions around this and the real cost would be guided by the risk assessment, I assume you want to do this to prevent risk or damage to property or persons, both of these do require recognised methods to be compliant of which creating a deliberate N/E fault on a RCD is not one of them as it isn't fail safe on numerous levels.

I'll keep the thread open to allow response from the OP but if the nature of that response is not to realise after the various responses that this is not a good idea and should not under any circumstance be done as any kind of safety set-up or even as an experiment then the thread will be closed, the rcd should only be deliberately operated by recognised methods usually done in routine testing through action of the test button or the use of test equipment.

Okay, well how does an RCD trip in my consumer unit? What electrical fault occurs for it to trip? Like sometimes my irons break over time and trip it, how does it trip?

Okay, well how does an RCD trip in my consumer unit? What electrical fault occurs for it to trip? Like sometimes my irons break over time and trip it, how does it trip?

It monitors earth leakage by using a finely tuned magnetic balance to hold itself in the on position, if the current going down L is not the same as returning down N and this difference is over the trip threshold set by the device then the device operates, basically any current that doesn't return must have found an alernative route and in the domestic realm this will nearly always have found a path to earth ... if loads are very low the action of shorting a N/E link may not have any effect on the RCD and this is a common fault where the RCD only operates when larger load is added to any circuit if one of them it protects has a N/E fault especially a high impedance fault, this can be a bugger to realise the issue if your new to the problem.

Last edited:

Reply to Create a safe switch that will trip RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net