Discuss Cross Wiring 2 Ceiling Fixtures in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Leon G.

DIY
Reaction score
I am just a bit more experienced than your basic DIY homeowner. In our bedroom walk in closet I put up 2 LED fixtures to replace the fluorescents that were there when we bought the house. They work fine. Each is on its own switch. The switch for the really powerful fixture - which I love and my wife, not so much... - is behind the entry door and a little out of the way for routine use. My question to the Forum is: why cannot I simply bridge a Romex wire between the 2 fixtures on the ceiling so that each switch will then de facto be powering both fixtures? Each switch will be allowing power to pass to 'its' fixture and then that power will also go to the other fixture. Can someone please explain to me why this can not/should not be done? Thanks.

Hi - not sure I’ve understood correctly but if you put 2 switches in parallel then either one will turn the lights on, but both switches will need to be off to turn them off. If you’d like 2 switches to control the lights then it’s normal to use “2 way switching”.
4E3E08D4-CD1C-40DD-8860-3473F8C2F338.gif

Hi - not sure I’ve understood correctly but if you put 2 switches in parallel then either one will turn the lights on, but both switches will need to be off to turn them off. If you’d like 2 switches to control the lights then it’s normal to use “2 way switching”.
View attachment 54446
Thank you v. much for your prompt reply! Yes, this would be the preferred and "usual" way to set the 2 switches up, but we don't really have the option of running new wiring to add what I believe is called the "traveller" wire. The way I am describing I guess would be considered connecting the fixtures in parallel between the 2 single-pole switches...yes: either switch would turn both fixtures on and both switches would have to be off for both lights to be off. My question is, "must" I avoid doing this for some reason, other than it is against 'convention'? Thanks again!

Hi - I’m sure others will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t know of any prohibition from doing what you propose. It just won’t work in the normal way.

not really got to the bottom of this, to littlesleepfor other reasons, but might be aqn idea to consider quinetic swith.es.

not really got to the bottom of this, to littlesleepfor other reasons, but might be aqn idea to consider quinetic swith.es.
An Electrician we had to do some other projects offered the solution of a set of switches that communicate with each other "wirelessly", perhaps via Bluetooth...the way he described them, it sounded like it 'effectively' converted the situation to more of a conventional configuration. He told me that my way "was not the right way to do it" but did not really say that my way would not work...

Yes, as per @telectrix is the way to go !
This is a unit that cables in line with the light(s) and remote clicker switches that operate it. One click from any switch changes the state of the light. Very handy where cabling is difficult. The switches are very neat in that they use the finger power of the button press to generate electrical energy to run their internal transmitter, so no batteries required either. In the UK they’re made by Quinetic.

I am just a bit more experienced than your basic DIY homeowner. In our bedroom walk in closet I put up 2 LED fixtures to replace the fluorescents that were there when we bought the house. They work fine. Each is on its own switch. The switch for the really powerful fixture - which I love and my wife, not so much... - is behind the entry door and a little out of the way for routine use. My question to the Forum is: why cannot I simply bridge a Romex wire between the 2 fixtures on the ceiling so that each switch will then de facto be powering both fixtures? Each switch will be allowing power to pass to 'its' fixture and then that power will also go to the other fixture. Can someone please explain to me why this can not/should not be done? Thanks.
Leon my suggestion to you would be put both lights on the first switch and not use the one behind the door. All you need is install 14/2 romex between the 2 lights
[automerge]1575841891[/automerge]
Leon my suggestion to you would be put both lights on the first switch and not use the one behind the door. All you need is install 14/2 romex between the 2 lights
I should have told you 14/2 with ground

[automerge]1575841891[/automerge]

I should have told you 14/2 with ground
THANK YOU! This was precisely my initial question! There is nothing "prohibiting" doing this?

Thank you! 1 more question and then I'll back out: what about the other switch, currently controlling the other light? OK to leave that connected after I've joined the 2 lights?
the other switch wire/s should be disconnected and made safe.

Reply to Cross Wiring 2 Ceiling Fixtures in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net