Discuss Current 18th Edition Compliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys, I expect this topic has been covered before, In rented accommodation including business premises, should the electrical installation be up to current BS 7671 Regulations.

New work should be to current reduction of the regs, but they are not retrospective.

The installation should comply with the regs that were in force when the wiring was done. IF it complied then, and hasn't deteriorated or become damaged in the meantime, then, with a very few exceptions, it complies now, although deviations from the current regs will attract a C3 classification on an EICR.

The installation should comply with the regs that were in force when the wiring was done. IF it complied then, and hasn't deteriorated or become damaged in the meantime, then, with a very few exceptions, it complies now, although deviations from the current regs will attract a C3 classification on an EICR.

Almost true. Depending on the age of the installation there could also be C2 issues as well.

Thanks for your replies. I find it a little confusing as according to the Government website Quote :

What standard should the electrical installation meet?​

The standards that should be met are set out in the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations.
The Regulations state that a landlord must ensure that electrical safety standards are met and that investigative or remedial work is carried out if the report requires this.
The electrical installation should be safe for continued use. In practice, if the report does not require investigative or remedial work, the landlord will not be required to carry out any further work.
It then goes on to say :
Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations may not comply with the 18th edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

Thanks for your replies. I find it a little confusing as according to the Government website Quote :

What standard should the electrical installation meet?​

The standards that should be met are set out in the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations.
The Regulations state that a landlord must ensure that electrical safety standards are met and that investigative or remedial work is carried out if the report requires this.
The electrical installation should be safe for continued use. In practice, if the report does not require investigative or remedial work, the landlord will not be required to carry out any further work.
It then goes on to say :
Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations may not comply with the 18th edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

That's right - it's saying that the installation should be safe, but necessarily 100% compliant with current regs. Otherwise you'd have to rip out all the black and red cable that is in millions of houses across the country.

So if you do not have rcd protection on socket outlets it is only a code 3.
Depends on the situation, if this represents a danger, for example a socket outlet used for lawnmowers - that is equipment outside, then most would code this as a C2, if a second floor room or flat, then C3 (as it can't be used for outside equipment), ground floor which may be used for equipment outside - some would say C2, some C3 depending upon how likely the use of outside equipment is.

The Best Practice Guide #4 on EICR is probably your best starting position on deciding if an installation is acceptably safe or not:
However, if it is rented out (i.e. commercial use) I would be less forgiving of issues like lack of RCD protection where any chance of outdoor use, etc, is involved. After all, if the owner is getting £500+ per month then it is hard to see them not being able to afford that sort of issue being addressed, and they are not the ones being put in any personal danger.

The Best Practice Guide #4 on EICR is probably your best starting position on deciding if an installation is acceptably safe or not:
However, if it is rented out (i.e. commercial use) I would be less forgiving of issues like lack of RCD protection where any chance of outdoor use, etc, is involved. After all, if the owner is getting £500+ per month then it is hard to see them not being able to afford that sort of issue being addressed, and they are not the ones being put in any personal danger.
More like £1000+ a month the way it's heading at the moment.

It's irrelevant what rent is charged and duty of care is the foremost consideration. Should something happen to a tenant, the first question will be 'were all reasonable measures taken to prevent this occurrence?' Ie. was mandatory inspection undertaken, was it sufficiently thorough, were recommendations in line with BS7671 and was any necessary remedial work carried out to acceptable standards? If the answer to any of these questions is no, and glaring omissions are found, I wouldn't want to in the shoes of either landlord or inspector.

So in a commercial setting with no rcd protection on socket outlets, will a risk assessment on an outlet not more than 32A that could be used outside get you out of jail ? Should have said in an installation carried out under a previous edition of Bs 7671. Would the risk assessment stand today.

Last edited:
So in a commercial setting with no rcd protection on socket outlets, will a risk assessment on an outlet not more than 32A that could be used outside get you out of jail ?
No, the risk assessment omission of RCD has, AFAIK, been removed in Amd2. Whether or not you can use other protective measures in its place would be down to the design.

The non-RCD risk-based allowance is still in AM2 I believe (still to get my copy) but not for locations where "ordinary" folks use it, only "instructed" or "skilled" folks.

In my view it should only ever be used where there is a need for a non-RCD supply, for example testing equipment, or equipment that might have very high leakage (e.g. 32A commando feeding a UPS with a rack of servers off it). It should never be a get-out-of-jail card for poor domestic/office safety.

Reply to Current 18th Edition Compliance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net