Discuss Cutting conduit, I hate it already... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Any tips for cutting conduit to ensure a good finish? We're starting with it at College and I hate the stuff, I end up cutting to length fine but after touching up it's all buggered.

Unfortunately due to my cerebral palsy, my fine motor control is pretty shot, along with my ability to judge by eye (I can see where the adjustment is needed but either end up doing top much and making worse or not enough) so any tool that will cut straight and smooth would be a god-send. Tips welcome too.

im thinking a plumbers pipe cutter, I know they do copper but not sure they'll be up to doing steel/pvc without blunting or clogging up.

The worst thing about galvanised conduit is the piles of swarf left lying around on the benches after cutting threads, which if you're not careful like me will have you leaning on a pile of it and getting it embedded in your hand(s).

Then you have to wait until you get home to tweezer all the little bits out. :screamcat:

A good quality hacksaw frame and blades also make a world of difference, also a but of cutting oil/paste will make it easier and the blades last longer.

I use the Milwaukee bandsaw. Fantastic tool. Other than that use an Hacksaw.
I always referred to the setting Over another pipe or obstacle a “Bubble set”.
Remember after you cut and thread the conduit to file the Burrs inside. The amount of time that people don’t do it and score the cables.
A damn site worse than 'scoring' can occur. Take a look at 2 posts before yours.

If your fine motor control needs a bit of help it may be worth considering a grinder in a stand. Once it's set up the cut is square and goes where you want it. Battery bandsaws are fast and clean but still need fine control and can be hazardous if juggling tools isn't your thing. Grinders can do you harm but it's unusual to get a serious cut from one.

This kind of thing might do, with a suitable grinder..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000P3DX6K/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_J4.GDb5GWE0ZY

If I'm doing loads I usually use my chop saw and as i'm cutting spin the conduit, this method is fast and leaves little de-burring work to be done after. Using a pipe slice leaves a nice neat outer cut but then I have to use a de-burring tool on my cordless to ream out the inner, or worse, if I don't have that to hand elbow grease and a good file. Hacksaw or cordless grinder for quick odd pieces, depending on what I have handy at the time.

Learning how to properly measure and bend steel conduit will save so much time. It was sad watching an electrical company installing some galv conduit a while back, they would make a bend, then cut the end to make it fit, then make a second bend in another length and then cut that to fit and join it to the last piece. So much wasted pipe and time cutting and threading.
Indeed, but I suspect it's a dying art these days. I remember learning to do metal conduit as an apprentice in the shipyard, as well as bending flat bar on the flat for cable ways to band cable to. Never done the latter again ever, and only recently did a bit of galv conduit - first at church, then on my house. Had to go out and buy a die set - dad's set was imperial threads. Made do with dad's old 3/4" pipe bender for bending it.
In a way it's easier than plastic - it stays where you bend it to, and/or doesn't bend where you don't want it to.
But done a fair bit of plumbing - including bending a full crossover (that's what the plumbing guys call them) in some chrome pipe for my mates bathroom. I practised that first on a bit of scrap ;) Been doing a fair number of offsets in chrome while doing the heating in our house.

I've always loved bends in pipework. There is some impressive heating pipework in several local churches, perfectly formed bends in screwed steel pipes of various sizes. Particularly smart are the tight bends where pipes are made into radiators on the old high pressure systems.

Reply to Cutting conduit, I hate it already... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock