Discuss damaged swa cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

currie123

hi,

had a customer call me after he put a spade through his armoured cable supply to his garage, wants me to joint cable undergroung which is fine i thought, obviously using the appropriate jointing kit etc, but now he has asked the question if a socket could be added at the damaged point of the cable (as oppose to jointing it underground) , and fixed to the wall beside it, obviously this is not common practice but cant think of anything wrong with this providing the garage supply cable is rcd protected and cable is appropriately sized and correct size of mcb at the fuseboard.havent been to the job yet, but i am guessing a 6mm 3 core and 32a mcb set up.

any thoughts?

Just seen breaker size you need to check personally I wouldn't do it now you can scotch cast this cable or you could run a new swa in would it be easy to run new cable in and give him an outside socket from another circut

scotch cast?? ok mate thanks i wouldnt be tool keen on doing it either but when i thought about it i wasnt sure why it wouldnt be possible

customer reckoned there would be enough spare but im not sure, dont think its a great idea anyhow

If he's cut burried SWA cable with a spade he must have strong muscles, but seriously you'd need a good "extra" 1m to bring it to the surface, terminate twice and rebury so exactly how deep is it?

Without looking it's hard to say, if there's enough cable MF IP67 junction box which will allow you to spur off for the socket (SWA rated to take =>32A).

And tell the gorilla to put his very sharp spade away...

Not as deep as recommended in regs anyway! Seriously I'm going to check the job tomorrow and take it from there, I think if he's keen on an outside socket il give him a quote for putting one in a more sensible way, and joint his armoured cable underground suitably! Thanks

If the area is prone to water saturation then you'll have to go the full IP68 route, seen a couple of installs recently that were fine until the summer came along.

I'd agree, use a torpedo, then back in the ground and run a separate circuit via swa to supply the socket.

I can't see how there would be enough spare cable to provide a socket above ground, unless you use a resin Y/T joint and insert a spur.

Reply to damaged swa cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock