Discuss Daughters house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi i am new to the forum i am a industrial electrician in the water industry with 35 years experience I have my 18th editition and considering getting my part p , i want to rewire my daughters house would i be allowed to if i had my part p ? i am not a member of any professional organisations like NIC etc

I would speak to building control to see what they would require from you. They may only require a completion certificate from yourself or they may request that they have the installation verified by one of their own inspectors at your cost.

Part P is part of the building documents you must comply with, it is not a qualification and as such you're not required to hold it. You can download the document for free online.

A rewire is classed as notifiable works so building control would need to be informed, as per my first line.

I would speak to building control to see what they would require from you. They may only require a completion certificate from yourself or they may request that they have the installation verified by one of their own inspectors at your cost.

Part P is part of the building documents you must comply with, it is not a qualification and as such you're not required to hold it. You can download the document for free online.

A rewire is classed as notifiable works so building control would need to be informed, as per my first line.
Thank you there seems to be so much confusion requarding what you can do the house has been completly ripped apart with only one socket in the whole building were abouts is the document on line

For a one off job it will be as cheap , if not cheaper to put a building notice in than to join a scheme..
Speak to the building inspector , he will probably accept your qualifications.
They have that option.

A word of caution. I have seen a few industrial sparks come a cropper doing domestic! It is a bit different. You can't put steel conduit all around for a start.:)
why not? ? ? wet-pants puts his pipes all around and nobody moans. :) :) :)

hi thanks for the replies , does a registered competent person have to be a member of any trade body ?
Hi - in England and Wales being on the Competent Persons Register indicates the person is able to self assess and notify any Local Building Control of works. There’s no requirement for any further memberships, if that’s what you mean (?).

how do you get on the competent persons register ?
contact niceic or one of the other schemes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont need to be on competent person scheme send them your quals your probably more qualified than the building control officer, assuming you have your test and inspection certificate.
They do have this option and i have used it a couple of times. it also helps if you are an employee in a company that is registered and let them know this and who you work for. Again 'assuming' you work for a reputable company and are not a subby to jack the lad.

Reply to Daughters house in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock