Discuss DDA compliant heating for disabled WC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on the best way to provide heating via electric panel heaters for an amenity block that will be accessed by disabled persons. How do I ensure that no one gets burnt! Many thanks in advance.

Will it be in constant use? If it is a small community minimal use project , maybe you could consider ducted air system used in caravans.

I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as the DDA any more its roles were moved to the Equality Act 2006 and there is a lot of conflicting information as old stuff under DDA no longer applies. Anyway under HSE for health and or social care and people with diminished abilities the following are the examples given as acceptable some have already been mentioned. I would point out any electrical heating should be a fixed installation. Most individual councils actually have additional guidance to this on top of HSE:

- providing low surface temperature heat emitters;
- locating sources of heat out of reach;
- guarding the heated areas (eg providing radiator covers, covering exposed pipework);
- reducing the flow temperatures, although this should not reduce their effectiveness or increase risk from legionella.

I'd like to point out that there is no such thing as the DDA any more its roles were moved to the Equality Act 2006 and there is a lot of conflicting information as old stuff under DDA no longer applies. Anyway under HSE for health and or social care and people with diminished abilities the following are the examples given as acceptable some have already been mentioned. I would point out any electrical heating should be a fixed installation. Most individual councils actually have additional guidance to this on top of HSE:

- providing low surface temperature heat emitters;
- locating sources of heat out of reach;
- guarding the heated areas (eg providing radiator covers, covering exposed pipework);
- reducing the flow temperatures, although this should not reduce their effectiveness or increase risk from legionella.
Just as an aside. We have had a New hospital built up here about two years ago.They have fitted Dyson hand dryers in the toilets. I'm not up on those regs, but did this used to be not permitted .
I always understood it was not .

If it was an NHS hospital then they can have all sorts of normal rule breaking allowed :) generally there are department of health design documents that go with any new NHS works as the normal regs simply don't have the scope to deal with it. Mostly DoH documents are in the scope of works considered a priority over British Standard which causes all sorts of arguments. But to your specific point about hand dryers. Look up document Department of Health 00-09 infection control.

Section 3.60 Hot-air hand dryers reduce paper waste and may be considered for use in public areas of healthcare facilities, but should not be installed in clinical areas as they are noisy and could disturb patients.

There is however, on going research about wether hand dryers are less hygenic it's possible the guidance may change, Some trusts have disallowed their use but the guidance from the top says it is fine to install

Thank you for replying.
It did make me wonder as the ward and side rooms have had ceiling ducted air condition units in for a long time.
It was one of my mates that is a a hospital maintenance electrician that told me that years ago.
That is why I wondered about the hand dryers in the new hospital.
As you say the noise will be a problem , these in particular are very noisy , but are not in the side room toilets.
That has cleared that up for me. Thanks again.

Reply to DDA compliant heating for disabled WC in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net