Discuss Dead phone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Been exclusively using sim only deals for around 15 years. Once phone prices moved into used car territory, I reckoned having the latest and greatest wasn't at all important.
In fact, the newer the phone, the higher the cost to repair, especially the Later iPhones where apple have tied in the screen, battery, and camera etc to stop third party repairs.

I have stuck with apple though because everything runs far more smoothly than an Android based phone.

In fact, the newer the phone, the higher the cost to repair, especially the Later iPhones where apple have tied in the screen, battery, and camera etc to stop third party repairs.

I have stuck with apple though because everything runs far more smoothly than an Android based phone.

Our son once managed to drive over his iphone XR3i, just days after receiving it and only a short time after launch. Incredibly the only damage was to its screen, but replacement cost was somewhere in the region of £340 and no aftermarket alternative was available.

If I bust a phone, repair cost will be minimal - otherwise I buy a new (to me) one.

I'd like to agree about apple devices running much more smoothly, but apple's propensity for bricking hardware under the guise of updates is legendary

Our son once managed to drive over his iphone XR3i, just days after receiving it and only a short time after launch. Incredibly the only damage was to its screen, but replacement cost was somewhere in the region of £340 and no aftermarket alternative was available.

If I bust a phone, repair cost will be minimal - otherwise I buy a new (to me) one.

I'd like to agree about apple devices running much more smoothly, but apple's propensity for bricking hardware under the guise of updates is legendary
Never heard of an iPhone xr3i or did you mean drove over his iphone whilst in an xr3i :)

My sister in law has iPhones and iPads I find them sluggish compared to Android.

My sister in law has iPhones and iPads I find them sluggish compared to Android.

You wouldn't have had the problems you just had with an apple phone, you would have just put your SIM in another iPhone, and it would have downloaded all your stuff from the cloud.

Android is open source, so there's always going to be bug ridden apps and glitches.

You wouldn't have had the problems you just had with an apple phone, you would have just put your SIM in another iPhone, and it would have downloaded all your stuff from the cloud.

Android is open source, so there's always going to be bug ridden apps and glitches.
There is that but to be fair I have never really had an issue with Android but Android and ois fans are never are never going to be bed partners.

Everything is backed up to the cloud, but is this something to be trusted?

Battery issues happen with all battery powered devices and apple products are no exception. The one major difference being that batteries in android devices can deteriorate very quickly, whereas apple provide a long period of notice by throttling performance of devices as and when they see fit.

Battery issues happen with all battery powered devices and apple products are no exception. The one major difference being that batteries in android devices can deteriorate very quickly, whereas apple provide a long period of notice by throttling performance of devices as and when they see fit.
iPhone' security is very good also iPhone doesn't need antivirus software.

I've repaired both Apple and Samsung phones and think the PCB quality of the Samsung is better, but the iPhone is better thought out and much easier and cheaper to repair, or so it was before the iPhone 10.

Bulging batteries causing screens to break in unused Samsung's is an issue.

Giff gaff SIM only here as well.
Neither my other half or me have ever bought a Smartphone - we have three kids who each buy new about every three years, so we relieve them of the old ones.

iPhone' security is very good also iPhone doesn't need antivirus software.

I've repaired both Apple and Samsung phones and think the PCB quality of the Samsung is better, but the iPhone is better thought out and much easier and cheaper to repair, or so it was before the iPhone 10.

Bulging batteries causing screens to break in unused Samsung's is an issue.

Apple products are incredibly well thought out and I admire their efficiency. What I don't admire are the eyewatering prices 😁

Voxi sim here, and iphone11 across the family. (Except the fiercely independent student daughter who will buy anything if it’s advertised by a K-pop group😉)
Yes, iPhones automatically uploads to iCloud, if you pay for enough storage.

Before phones came along everything seemed to flow better.
True to say that if you broke down you might find yourself using up energy and causing yourself to become fitter by walking 5 miles with a petrol can, but messages still got around it's just they didn't feel so important like they do today.

Concentration is a thing of the past. You can be doing the most delicate of things, and phones go off losing the attention.
Kids walk around glued to them even crossing roads, they go into complete meltdown if they should lose one.

Btw, it you ever want to find out how many people are in your house, turn off the internet!

I hate phones with a passion. But I know you can still get all the texts and all the calls each week for a quid. That's still a quid more than I would pay though.

Unlimited Calls & Texts SIM - Only £4 a month! | Asda mobile - https://mobile.asda.com/bundles/talk-and-text

I tend to set the phone down and get on with life, whether that be in the kitchen, car or toolbox. It's on silent when I sleep. The idea of being at the beck and call of others never sat well with me and mobile phones are a huge intrusion on a peaceful life.

In the past if someone called you, it was likely to be important as they had to go to whatever cold room their phone was in or even walk to a phonebox. When you called someone it generally meant making an effort, not least having to look up their number, so phones (for most people) were used when necessary. If arrangements were made, people either stuck with the arrangement or missed out on whatever was happening - there was no way to get in touch once people left home.

I'm not a dog and I don't respond to whistles. Similarly I might answer a phone or then again I might not - much depends on what I'm doing when it rings, rather than who's calling. Most people know this and accept it as a precondition to calling me and if that's a frustration, they're probably calling the wrong person.

It kind of depends on what you mean by trust, and what sort of level of comparison you are making.
  • Should GCHQ/MI5/NSA/etc relay on Apple, etc, to host sensitive data? No.
  • Are Apple & Google less likely to lose your data if you don't regularly save it yourself? Yes.
  • Can Apple/Google for whatever bureaucratic or contractual reason simply delete it and tough? Yes. So if your data very important to you make your own copy in addition.
All phones deteriorate with age in one way or another, Apple are generally better than most in keeping stuff going but at a price.

I treat my phones and laptops as useful accessories to my main desktop/NAS/cloud contracts so go cheap on the assumption they will be lost/stolen/broken at some point. Typically i try and get by with a £200-ish Motorola G-whatever. Not as good as latest iPhone but I could burn my way though 5 of them and still have spare cash!

Reply to Dead phone. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net