Discuss Dedicated line for outbuilding? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mjc1925

DIY
Reaction score
Looking to replace a damaged underground cable feeding a small outbuilding. Is a dedicated line from the panel required ?

Current setup when I purchased the house: The cable feeding the outbuilding (about 10 feet from the house) shares a circuit with a ceiling fan and two lights in the house. The outbuilding now has two outlets and two lights on pull chains.

If a dedicated line is the way to go, there's no room in my panel for a new breaker. There is an outlet coming off the panel with nothing else on the circuit. Could I use that to extend a new line?

I would change the duplex outlet on the unused circuit to GFI then use that to run to the outbuilding. That way you would be protected from being electrocuted from an outside line.

Reply to Dedicated line for outbuilding? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have an outbuilding a fair distance from the house. In this outbuilding I just want to have some lights, a small music radio/clock, and a...
Replies
Views
Last year we purchased a home that was built in the late 1990s It has one outbuilding, sort of a barn/shed about 160 feet from the house (and...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got an new outbuilding that needs power run out to it, the building is very close to the house and the original plan was to run an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock