Discuss Definitive answer please - EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I thought I read on here that DI’s under the NICEIC scheme aren’t ‘allowed to do EICR’s? We dont have DI’s up here!

I thought I read on here that DI’s under the NICEIC scheme aren’t ‘allowed to do EICR’s? We dont have DI’s up here!
The domestic installer Scheme will only assess for, and give backing for, domestic installations and their initial verification.
Any scheme that gives backing to the candidate to do inspections will usually require proof of competence through qualification and assessment.

Not that I agree that any scheme assessment is complete proof of competence.

EAWR is what will get you in front of a court. This is not stressed enough to the new people coming into the industry. EAWR is law and you will probably be prosecuted under that more than BS 7671. Regulation 16 is the important part.

Defining competence for me is do I have the correct qualifications, tools, equipment, CPD and experience to complete the work involved.

Now in all honesty I have no issue with DI’s when they stick to domestic. It is quite silly to expect someone to attend a four to five year apprenticeship in the complete electrical discipline if all they wish to do is re-wires and new-builds. The problem comes with DI’s flirting with works they are not qualified nor competent to do just because they class themselves as electricians. They are not electricians. They are domestic installers.

So to answer your question I would say you are legal if you have the correct qualifications, tools, equipment and experience to perform the role. Also competence is about knowing when you should say no to something if you feel you are not.

As Part P relates to construction, being a member of a scheme has no relevance on whether a person can conduct periodic inspections.
I personally sat and passed my 2391 very recently, though I have been inspecting and testing installations from before the 2391 was introduced.

Did I feel competent to conduct testing before the 2391 was introduced?
Yes.
Did I feel any less competent after the 2391 was introduced?
No.
Do I feel more competent now because I have sat and passed the 2391?
No.

The 2391 was introduced on behalf of the NICEIC for their Qualified Supervisors to pass and show their competence.
It was dropped as a requirement by the NICEIC, because so few of their Qualified Supervisors were able to pass the exam.

At the time of it’s introduction, the intention was just for Qualified Supervisors to require the 2391.
The persons conducting the inspections were not required or even expected to hold the 2391.
They just wanted someone who would be able to assess the reports made by others.

Quite a few clients we work for are now insisting on proof of qualifications and in particular the initial verification qualification for installation works that is inspected and tested and an EIC given( the testing must be done by someone with this qualification) and for EICR’s proof of a qualification such as the periodic inspection and testing one.
We did an army barracks last year and there was only myself and one other lad from our company allowed to test and complete the EIC.
Basically it’s becoming no testing qualifications then no work.

But could you not navigate around this by use of the "Qualified Supervisor" section.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Appendix 6 of the regs just state the below:
The Electrical Installation Certificate required by Part 6 should be made out and signed or otherwise authenticated by a skilled person or persons in respect of the design, construction, inspection and testing of the work.
I don't think there is any 'legal' requirements.

Skilled person (electrically). Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create.
NOTE 1: The term "(electrically)" is assumed to be present where the term 'skilled person' is used throughout BS 7671.
NOTE 2: Regulation 16 of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury. The HSE publication HSR25 provides guidance on this.

Good Answer! I am also looking for.Thank You so Much

Reply to Definitive answer please - EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock