Discuss Departures from BS7671 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OldskoolUpNorth

Hi all,

A quick question out of interest really,

When testing after alteration or addition, if you come up with a departure from the regs do you put it right or just note it in the box.

I might be my own worst enemy here cos if I find any I can't bear to leave until it's put right.
Thing is I also don't like charging any extra cos I feel a customer would just think your a cowboy upping the charge.
So I'm putting problems right for free - not good!

That said, it was before I got 2391 so I'm testing before touching now....

An example, two 1.5 T&E cables passing through, but not connected to, a flush knockout box light switch.

Also, 3 x 10mm bonding at MET but only 2 of the 3 that can be seen and tested (Gas & Water main).
The 3rd is connected to pipework somewhere but no undestructive way of finding out.
Whats the solution?

Ta!
Neil.

Well if the cables passing through the switch box are from the same circuit, - No problems.

With the bonding, work out what services you have and if theyre bonded if theres extra earths left it doesn't matter, I always leave any old/unknown bonding cables connected, they can't hurt and this certainly isn't even worth mentioning on a test.

You are responsible for what the customer asks you to do, within reason,

You are there to do a job and get paid.

Note them down, make client aware that they don't conform to current regs (not a massively bad thing)

then get paid.

minor faults, you can fix at no extra cost, but if you get something that's going totake hours, you need to charge accordingly. i always quote with the proviso that any unforseen faults will incur extra costs.

Stu has hit the nail on the head really. It is a non conformance, not a departure. A departure is when you have done something which is not covered in the regs, but is at least as adequate as the requirements. The only example that i can think of is, using a Wago connector prior to it having a BSEN number, instead of connector block which already had one. So you have complied to the regs regarding your connections, but have used a new product which maybe still too new to be included in the regs, hence you have made a departure.

Cheers............Howard

Departures ONLY relate to the work YOU are doing covered by your EIC, so if you are putting the cables into the the 2x1.5 T&E cables in the box, then your EIC covers this work and perhaps it is a non-compliance, if this is existing then how can your EIC cover it as it was there before you got there, thus you did not install it, thus how can it be covered by an EIC that is related to the work that YOU installed...

Oldskool,

I wish my local garage had your attitude. If they had, then they would have changed my brake pads for nowt when it went in for its MOT. The tight gets charged me £45 to replace them. Man who works for nowt, and woman who @@@@s for nowt will always be busy.

Cheers.............Howard

Anyway,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but bollox to departures from BS7671, i am more interested in departures from Leeds/Bradford airport on Saturday. I will leave you all the rain, off to sunnier climes for a day or 5, on the big metal bird to Malaga.

Cheers..............Howard

Reply to Departures from BS7671 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock