Discuss Determination of Wire Voltage Rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rukkoo

DIY
Reaction score
I am curious about voltage ratings on wire. I'm interested in 10-4 for a 25-foot cord that will be carrying 25 Amps at 240 volts. There are two voltage ratings for this wire on Amazon, 300 and 600. Would it be prudent to choose the 600-volt wire since the peak voltage of 240 is 339 volts? Or is this not necessary?

Thanks

I am curious about voltage ratings on wire. I'm interested in 10-4 for a 25-foot cord that will be carrying 25 Amps at 240 volts. There are two voltage ratings for this wire on Amazon, 300 and 600. Would it be prudent to choose the 600-volt wire since the peak voltage of 240 is 339 volts? Or is this not necessary?

Thanks
Can I ask what are you wiring and what cable that is? The Amazon link would help.
Thanks

Thanks. Everybody is entitled to their opinion right or wrong.
The fact that you are seeing two different specifications for seemingly the same type of cable is cause for concern.

If you live too far from a Home Depot or other DIY store to pick some cable up, find a reputable electrical supplier online who will deliver.

Buying from a reputable supplier is the best way to ensure the cable you purchase meets the relevant standards.

Thanks. Everybody is entitled to their opinion right or wrong.
What I hadn't appreciated from your original post is that there are two similar but actually different GearIT cable products, with different specifications, advertised by different sellers. It's not one cable product with one listing for two different voltages.
It seems that the 300V version is to use with a 120V supply, and the 600V version is to use with a 240V supply. So you would need 600V rated cable for your application.
The only comment I'd make is that a couple of reviews mention the price is high in relation to what is available from Home Depot and the like. It actually looks a robust cable with fine stranded oxygen free (it claims) copper, and I don't see any reason to doubt its suitability. It is tested and certified to UL standards by Intertek, who in my experience are a reliable organisation!

PS just below your Amazon link, you say COOW wire, but the link takes me in the UK to a page that says it is SOOW - but probably irrelevant 🤪

Last edited:
What I hadn't appreciated from your original post is that there are two similar but actually different GearIT cable products, with different specifications, advertised by different sellers. It's not one cable product with one listing for two different voltages.
It seems that the 300V version is to use with a 120V supply, and the 600V version is to use with a 240V supply. So you would need 600V rated cable for your application.
The only comment I'd make is that a couple of reviews mention the price is high in relation to what is available from Home Depot and the like. It actually looks a robust cable with fine stranded oxygen free (it claims) copper, and I don't see any reason to doubt its suitability. It is tested and certified to UL standards by Intertek, who in my experience are a reliable organisation!

PS just below your Amazon link, you say COOW wire, but the link takes me in the UK to a page that says it is SOOW - but probably irrelevant 🤪
Thanks for your response.

Thanks.

Thanks
If it is stamped 600 volt on the wire then it is rated for 600 volts so you should be good but touching on @Marvo reply don’t trust amazon when buying wire.

Thanks

Thanks
So sorry I meant @westward10

At more than £10/m for 6mm 4core cable, I'd be inclined to shop around.

Copper is a commodity for which price has risen considerably over the last couple of years, but that's way beyond all reason.

Reply to Determination of Wire Voltage Rating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net