Discuss Dewalt wall dog screw fixings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Got to fit some bits and pieces in my dads pub that he has a lease from a brewery on. Area brewery property manager who oversees the pubs is happy for me to do it as its cheaper than them getting other people in and I can get my old man to help speed things up.

Marstons the Brewery have the final say on works and have specified all fittings and fixtures installed must be adequate to provide fire protection and not hinder evacaution in the event of fire. The cables will be run from the DB clipped to wall at ceiling height and into kitchen area along a corridor that is used by staff and visitors in the dining room, also used by people in the 3 paying guest rooms upstairs, when going into the kitchen the cables will be directly above the sole entrance to the kitchen, hence the need for ensuring its all compliant and not a risk in event of fire.

I will be installing cables for a new extractor system in the kitchen. and extra sockets on its own radial as there are no sockets where old cupboards used to be and its now a stainless worktop area.

I guess they are already thinking ahead and the need to prevent premature collapse as the regs call it.

I will be using D-line Safe-D metal clips for the cables.

Anybody used the Dewalt wall-dog screws? they are ÂŁ10.99 for a 100 box in screwfix. https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/dewal...self-tapping-thread-6mm-x-32mm-100-pack/4991p
not used this make before but are they as good as they claim for being used without a plug in such varied materials? some of the cheaper versions are useless and the heads grind down very easily or just dont bite into the walls.

Not exactly the same but sort of! :
I quite often use concrete screws which say to use 6.5mm pilot holes. However I find they sometimes don't bite with that size so I use 6mm instead. However with that size they sometimes get stuck before they are fully screwed in. To counter this I use a 6mm then after drilling the full depth I pull and push the drill in and out a couple of times to help remove dust and debris in the hole. Occasionally I spray a little WD40 in the hole to help drive it in.
It depends on the substrate they are going into and how hard it is essentially, and it will vary from property to property.

GSH on YouTube just did a video on these along with some metal clips that can be incorporated into plastic trunking to give cable support in fires.

I find that they are okay with a pilot hole but if you use an impact driver they are likely to rip out the wall, use an impact driver and do the last few turns by screwdriver.

Depends on the material for wall dogs, you might need a different size pilot hole as already stated for different materials, but they're generally pretty good. Be aware they are PH2 head, not PZ2 - if you use a pozi head, you'll chew them up and/or won't get them tight enough.

Yes used them mainly in plasterboard, ph drill bit, used for quick secure of light fittings, trunking to ceilings. The thread is bulky than normal screws so they dont always work with some products/fittings..ie saddles unless drilled first.
I mainly use Resser screws with UNO RAWL plugs brilliant in most materials.
As for securing cables over doors I just use enamelled banding folded over cable inside trunking.

Reply to Dewalt wall dog screw fixings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net