Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Differences between 2394 & 2395 course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jolly

Hi there 1st time on! Was hoping someone could help me on the actual difference between the 2394 & 2395 courses. I keep getting told different information regarding the two but can not pin point the difference.
I was told that you don't have to take the 2394 course to do the 2395, and the only difference is you learn how to test 3phase new installations only? Is this true? Also what exams have to be taken for both courses?

Any help on the issue would be very helpful.
Thanks everyone

The 2394 course is intended to teach about the initial verification of new installations
The 2395 course is intended to teach about the periodic inspection of existing installations

This is the link to the City and Guilds document about 2394 (I would start reading from section 4 assessment)
This is the link to the City and Guilds document about 2395 (I would start reading from section 4 assessment)
These documents tell you what the course is intended to cover and how it is assessed, what exams you need and so on.

Neither course will cover much about three phase power.
Neither course is a requirement of the other but in some ways it may be easier to start with initial verification and move on to periodic inspection since for initial verification you know how the circuit is designed and you (should) know that there are no faults or you can get to the fault if there is one.
For periodic inspection there could be a host of unknowns and old practices that can be confusing to star with.

Im in the same boat as jolly, so the 2394 is similar to 2392?? Ive got my '92 and am looking to progress my testing...any point doing the '94 as well? :s

Im in the same boat as jolly, so the 2394 is similar to 2392??
they cover similar topics but the 2394 will be more in depth and tougher.

Ive got my '92 and am looking to progress my testing...any point doing the '94 as well?

yes , or the 2395 which is for periodic inspections.

:s

I'm currently doing the 2394 then once I pass (fingers crossed) I hope to do the 2395.

Basically the 2394 and 2395 are the old 2391 course split into two, this is down to the low pass rate of the 2391.

The 2394 covers the intial verification of an installation, basically inspecting and testing a brand new install.

The 2395 covers the electrical installation condition report, basically the old periodic inspection report.

The 2391 covered both of these.

I believe you would have to complete both the 2394 and 2395 for it to be regarded as the same as the old 2391 course. But this means you could pass the 2394 but fail the 2395 and would only have to resit the 2395 again. Making it slightly easier than having to resit the whole thing again like you would have had to with the 2391.

The colleges are ripping you off in my opinion, their charging you twice for the two new courses when their really the old 2391 course you used to only have to pay once for. But such is life!

The 2394 exams are: 1 online exam (40 multi choice questions closed book), 1 written exam completed at college 3 times a year with city and guilds representives present (2 or 2.5 hours long closed book) and 4 practical exam completed at college (insulation resistance, earth loop impedance, departures and inspection and testing of a test rig)

The 2395 exams are: 1 online exam (40 multi choice questions closed book), 1 written exam completed at college 3 times a year with city and guilds representives present (not sure how long closed book) and 2 practical exam completed at college (departures and electrical installation condition report of a test rig)

If you have completed the online exam on the 2394 course you wont have to do it again in the 2395. The written exams are obviously different though, relating to the course your doing.

I couldn't find much info about the courses when I was looking to start the course probably because their new so hopes this helps.

Old post, I didn't resurrect it but I find it interesting.
This info on the courses looks straight forward.
I don’t understand about the levels, 2 or 3 etc ??
How does that work ? :icon9:

Reply to Differences between 2394 & 2395 course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net