Discuss Difficult fault to find? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have come across a fault that I am struggling to find. I cant remember being stumped like this before as I like fault finding and have always found the fault before.

6A MCB is tripping on lights. It sometimes trips the moment it is switched on and sometimes takes up to 30 mins. There is no RCD.

IR readings are poor (o.3Mohms L/N - E) but do not show a short circuit to earth. I have removed all lamps but IR readings for L-N still suggests something is on the circuit which I cannot find (0.05Mohms).

I have tried it on another 6A MCB, it trips, so not a faulty MCB.

It will not be an over current as there is little on the circuit (2 bathroom lights, 1 x kitchen, utility, garage, perhaps 2A absolute max).

My plan is now to break the circuit in half and leave. Customer can tell me if it trips or not. I can carry on like that but it means many trips and they are not close.

I could also try it on the RCD side to see if it trips the RCD (meaning a L-E fault, but would this knowledge help?)

Any suggestions?

Break the circuit down and find the 0.05 meg. I would not want to find the cause of an OCPD tripping by trial and error, there are likely to be fault currents sufficient to cause a fire. If you can isolate the low reading energise the rest of the circuit and see what doesn't work. Sometimes if everything appears to work I leave the offending part disconnected until the owner notices what doesn't work
Not a criticism by the way, I know how frustrating some faults can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once had something like you describe, that turned out to be an outside cable on the circuit with bare corroded ends that were touching. Mostly hardly any current due to the corrosion, but sometimes more current would flow and then rapidly increase and trip the MCB.

Break the circuit down and find the 0.05 meg. I would not want to find the cause of an OCPD tripping by trial and error, there are likely to be fault currents sufficient to cause a fire. If you can isolate the low reading energise the rest of the circuit and see what doesn't work. Sometimes if everything appears to work I leave the offending part disconnected until the owner notices what doesn't work
Not a criticism by the way, I know how frustrating some faults can be.
How would finding the 0.05Meg help? I could find out which 2 points it's between but not the item itself. Also, the fault may be at this lost item but it's a bit of a long shot.
A bit embarrassing to say, but it may actually be quicker to remove all fittings (a total of 6 lights) and physically look at them. I cringe when I hear electricians doing this rather than testing, but what happens when the tests are not faulty and cannot lead you!

Could be water ingress some where......?
I thought that too. I thought I had found the fault with a poorly fitted outside light but it wasn't this.

ask hammer jack the customer did they put a nail in the wall.
I have quizzed the customer quite a bit.
No new work.
No trades in recently.
No DIY work.
They did not initially switch something on for it to trip, it just tripped.

Might be interesting to monitor the current on the circuit (with all the lights turned off) when the MCB will hold. Is it zero then gradually creeps up; or increases very rapidly as the MCB trips.

Might be interesting to monitor the current on the circuit (with all the lights turned off) when the MCB will hold. Is it zero then gradually creeps up; or increases very rapidly as the MCB trips.
Interesting Yes :) but how does it help?

Live - neutral short somewhere with a loose varying amount of contact thus affecting the time it takes the MCB to trip?

Just split the circuit in half and see which half that low reading is on and so on? Am I missing something
The low reading is 50000 ohms. I believe this is something 'plugged in' not the reason for the tripping MCB, therefore I would be tracking down this item rather than finding the fault.

Live - neutral short somewhere with a loose varying amount of contact thus affecting the time it takes the MCB to trip?
Yep, that's what I think. Now tell me how to find it without any faulty readings whilst I sup my beer :)

Have you checked the condition of all the fittings including any transformers and fans connected to that circuit?
I may have to do that, but I was hoping to track it down with fault finding/testing rather than undoing everything on the circuit.

0.3 meg ohm l+n to e is still pish poor though?
Yes it is, but it's still not a cause of the tripping MCB so it will not aid in finding this particular fault. I've suggested finding this fault also to the lady but she is not interested. I don't mean any disrespect to the client, she's fairly old and believes 'if it aint broke don't fix it'.

The 0.05MΩ is L > N, so a load, possibly a fan timer? Won't like insulation test volts up it.

But you say the L+N > E is 0.3MΩ which is abnormally low and quite possibly at the fault location. It might be variable, a dead short at times and a meg at others. A likely scenario is that a cable is damaged with the conductors almost touching, which actually make contact when something moves, e.g. a heating pipe expands or a floorboard rocks. The arc has left carbonised insulation which is the cause of your low IR.

This is one of the things about IR testing to find a fault. It doesn't necessarily reveal the low resistance that caused / causes the bang, but it can lead you to anything suspicious - e.g. a damp section of wiring or even the aftermath of the fault - which does aid location.

I'd be splitting the circuit up in search of any section below a few MΩ. There's no guarantee that it's related to the tripping but I would say much more likely than not.

Last edited:
How would finding the 0.05Meg help? I could find out which 2 points it's between but not the item itself. Also, the fault may be at this lost item but it's a bit of a long shot.
Finding and eliminating any low reading is essential to isolate the cause. Whether the 0.05 megs is a load or a fault you need to end up with a circuit with an acceptable IR L-N and LN-E.

Reply to Difficult fault to find? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock