Discuss Difficult fault to find? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is the lighting circuit wired as loop in or neutrals at switches?

With so few lights narrowing it down to a section shouldn’t be too tricky.

Had this recently and mice were to blame .....

You bought an air rifle to shoot an animal even though this was against your beliefs ? Surely a humane trap would have been a smarter buy ?

Good to know that threatening it worked well enough anyway :D
T
Is the lighting circuit wired as loop in or neutrals at switches?

With so few lights narrowing it down to a section shouldn’t be too tricky.

Had this recently and mice were to blame .....
Neutrals are in the light fittings.

Neutrals are in the light fittings.

I’d slowly taking it apart .... another one from the mists of time was where the switch drop cable had been trapped and damaged where boards had been laid in the loft, and the board pinched the cable as it entered the metal conduit .....

You will be really chuffed when you solve this

The necessary ingredients are patience, paper, pencil or pen and your test kit .. and a customer knowing that the bill will only be known when it’s done and dusted

don't let the IR test mislead, remember it would only be accurate for a linear resistance. The MCB will trip on reactive power as well as real power but with DC IR testing you'll only notice what would transfer the real power.
Could be a faulty PSU somewhere causing the issue perhaps.
Or it could be the mouse!
Can you get a clamp meter on the circuit when the MCB is on?

I may have to do that, but I was hoping to track it down with fault finding/testing rather than undoing everything on the circuit.

There are only so many tests you can do before you have to undo something and test again this may need to be repeated a number of times until you find the fault
If the fault is big enough to allow a circuit tracer to function you can sometimes use this to take you to the fault without having to break the circuit down

don't let the IR test mislead, remember it would only be accurate for a linear resistance. The MCB will trip on reactive power as well as real power but with DC IR testing you'll only notice what would transfer the real power.
Could be a faulty PSU somewhere causing the issue perhaps.
Or it could be the mouse!
Can you get a clamp meter on the circuit when the MCB is on?
Yes I could, but would this not just show the 1 or 2 A running through it at that time? It may change rapidly when it's about to trip but I don't think I can get away with standing there for 30 mins :)
Anyway, I am now leaving to find it!

Last edited:
found the fault?
Just found it!
L/N -E results were now 0.03Meg. Traced the fault to between 2 lighting points.
Unfortunately this was between the main house and flat roofed extension.
Traced the cable in the loft where is disappeared into the cavity between main house and extension.
Crawled to edge as far as I could and poked the inspection camera down into the cavity.
This is what I saw..
20190603_135203.jpg 20190603_135147.jpg 20190603_135218.jpg
Sorry for poor quality but this is me taking a picture with my phone of what the inspection camera was seeing.
Looks like the naughty mouse!
Ps.. looks like he's started on the socket cable nearby as well which you can just make out in one if the pics.

Last edited:
Just found it!
L/N -E results were now 0.03Meg. Traced the fault to between 2 lighting points.
Unfortunately this was between the main house and flat roofed extension.
Traced the cable in the loft where is disappeared into the cavity between main house and extension.
Crawled to edge as far as I could and poked the inspection camera down into the cavity.
This is what I saw..
View attachment 49768 View attachment 49769 View attachment 49770
Sorry for poor quality but this is me taking a picture with my phone of what the inspection camera was seeing.
Looks like the naughty mouse!

congratulations.
bet you feel better already.

Nice job HHD......had a bit of a run around myself today with a rfc taking out the rcd.....turns out the rfc did the whole house, 3 floors! Found it in the end.....someone years ago had left a flex connected to an old jb and just taped the other end up and left it in the dirt under the house!

Reply to Difficult fault to find? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net