Discuss DiLOG testers....any good? And is 440v overvoltage rating adequate? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

swaRRR

Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm looking at new testing equipment and quite like the look of the dilog's. They seem to do what every other tester does but they are cheaper and the customer service has rave reviews.

I noticed they all only go up to 440v overvoltage whereas the higher end Flukes etc go to 550v.

Any ideas?

I'm looking at new testing equipment and quite like the look of the dilog's. They seem to do what every other tester does but they are cheaper and the customer service has rave reviews.

I noticed they all only go up to 440v overvoltage whereas the higher end Flukes etc go to 550v.

Any ideas?
Are you only looking at the price and then what it will do later or are you comparing the various manufacturers offerings and what each meter will and won't do and then looking at which of those meters fall in your budget range
No point in going cheap now if a mid range more expensive meter is better suited to your mid to longer term needs in the next few years
When assessing each meter compare the actual specs on each test function as they can vary between manufacturers you can find that some meters have a limit on some tests due the overheating of components within the meter which can affect accuracy

If you compare the spec to more expensive options the differences are apparent. If you need the features of a Megger 1741 then a Dilog won't be for you, but it carries out all tests required by a significant number of electricians.

Given the work I do it's likely I'll spend a bit more on the next MFT, but my Dilog isn't holding me back and does exactly what it needs to.

If you compare the spec to more expensive options the differences are apparent. If you need the features of a Megger 1741 then a Dilog won't be for you, but it carries out all tests required by a significant number of electricians.

Given the work I do it's likely I'll spend a bit more on the next MFT, but my Dilog isn't holding me back and does exactly what it needs to.
If you were a first time buyer now having more experience what meter would you buy today

I have used Dilog. Not mine but a fellow sparks. It did keep overheating so had to wait quite a lot on extensive testing. Apart from that, ok. Never had that with Kewtech gear though, which is my go to in MFTs.

If you were a first time buyer now having more experience what meter would you buy today

I'm not entirely certain, having racked up a list of pros and cons for most brands. I guess those lists will continue to grow until such times as I find myself needing a new tester. Kewtech stand out at present, but probably mostly due what they offer at reasonable price points - of the major brands I'm less familiar with their products than those from Fluke, Megger or Metrel.

I've read some reports of issues with Dilog testers, but my experience to date has been very positive. They aren't as fast to produce results as many other testers, but that couple of extra seconds doesn't unduly trouble me and overheating isn't something I've encountered (or even heard of prior to this thread).

Who knows what the future holds?

I'm quite happy using most testers with reasonable indifference and for most work there's no need for the "bells and whistles".
To some extent until you have spent a while using a tester you won't know what matters to you.

Just brainstorming the most obvious differences between the three I regularly use....obviously this relates to certain models of each:
Kewtech doesn't have 3 rod earth electrode test (very occasionally handy if you don't have a supply yet and have just hit a rod in)
Metrel doesn't have hands-free auto-start of test (the remote probe makes up for it)
The stackable banana plug test leads of the Metrel are very handy, as you can extend leads if the CU is crazily high, or add a lead for easy E to L+N IR tests
The Metrel has additional 50v and 100v IR tests, occasionally useful.
The Megger is the only one with 2 wire no-trip loop tests e.g at a light switch with no Neutral
The Kewtech doesn't indicate phase rotation
The no-trip loop tests on the Kewtech are slower (by a few seconds) than the other 2

Dialog is as good a place to start as most in my opinion.

EDIT Turns out on this tester you have to hold the test button down until the test is completed. Not amazing but i guess it's not unusable.

Last edited:
I got the DiLOG 9118 and found it is OK. Could be more responsive and some things are not as intuitive as they could be, but overall it was decent value for money at the time and for the light usage I expected to have.

I would like to have a play with the Kewtech and Megger alternatives at some point to see if they really do better at no-trip Zs/PFC measurement accuracy/stability, and I would really like 100V IR testing option for network cables and the like, but neither are deal-breakers for me.

F4 on continuity & all loop tests provides auto function. This is sticky will be held in memory when you next select these tests. Continuity tests will provide instant result, whereas loop testing takes about 4 seconds.

F2 on IR is test lock, which allows testing with a single press of the test button. Not sticky and unlocks when dial is moved from IR.

F4 on continuity & all loop tests provides auto function. This is sticky will be held in memory when you next select these tests. Continuity tests will provide instant result, whereas loop testing takes about 4 seconds.

F2 on IR is test lock, which allows testing with a single press of the test button. Not sticky and unlocks when dial is moved from IR.
'sticky'?

Reply to DiLOG testers....any good? And is 440v overvoltage rating adequate? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net