Discuss Dimmer Switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Had a phone call the other day regarding a dimmer switch and 5 x 50watt dichroic lamps.

Caller said that when switching off the lights which are on a dimmer switch the was a flash from one and all the lights went out plus MCB tripped.

They reset the MCB but the lights in that room would not come back on, when I went round I checked out light fittings found them all to be ok including the one that the flash had come from but the lamp had blown.

I have known when incandescant lamps blow they can take out the MCB but never heard it take out a switch.

Only reason I can think it took out the switch, is that the dimmer switch was rated 400w max(approx 1.6A) and with the MCB being a B type it needed 18-30A to trip thus 10-20 times current rating of switch flowing through it for an instant.:eek:

Last edited:
Had a phone call the other day regarding a dimmer switch and 5 x 50watt dichroic lamps.

Caller said that when switching off the lights which are on a dimmer switch the was a flash from one and all the lights went out plus MCB tripped.

They reset the MCB but the lights in that room would not come back on, when I went round I checked out light fittings found them all to be ok including the one that the flash had come from but the lamp had blown.

I have known when incandescant lamps blow they can take out the MCB but never heard it take out a switch.

Only reason I can think it took out the switch, is that the dimmer switch was rated 400w max(approx 1.6A) and with the MCB being a B type it needed 18-30A to trip thus 10-20 times current rating of switch flowing through it for an instant.:eek:

I'v never heard of this either - the dimmer and switches are underated by about 5 times rated current normally, to allow for temporary current surges - but hey, if its blown, its blown!!!

the dimmer and switches are underated by about 5 times rated current normally, to allow for temporary current surges

You've lost me here, i don't understand why you would underate the switches/dimmers, or come to think of it anything electrical:confused:

A little help would be appreciated here:eek:

its the FOS (factor of safety) built into ALL engineering equipment

A switch rated at 10A does not melt at 10.1A or even 11A

or 12A

in fact it can take quite a bit more

so by rating it at, say, 10A that is what you will work to. the fact that it will probably take 30A without immediately becoming a molten lump is why it is under rated, as all things are

What would happen if 2.5mm installed at method 1 (or method 100, 101 or 102: 117th edition) melted at 27.1A? we would have houses all of the country going up in smoke.

No of course it can 'take' a lot more, but we 'rate' it at 27A to allow for all the un-known's, temorary overloads, design errors etc etc etc

thats why most things (not just electrical) are under-rated

I know mate... I know.

But hey, you know me... Always willing to help out and not wanting to take the credit.

Modesty is my first name, discretion my surname ;)

I know mate... I know.

But hey, you know me... Always willing to help out and not wanting to take the credit.

Modesty is my first name, discretion my surname ;)

your name is Modesty Discretion?

so how do you get called Bane?

and are you related to Soul-of Discretion?

you know, dark hair, his dad used to wear a belt to work?

Reply to Dimmer Switch in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock