Discuss Dimming lights in entire house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi!

DIY electrical guy here. I am hoping someone can point me in some direction on this. I live in Ohio if that helps. We bought this house a year ago and it has always been a problem. The general inspector didn't note anything really out of the ordinary with our setup, but he was not an electrician either.

Basically the problem is that whenever a larger electrical load (Stove, Dryer, Heat Pump, etc.) all the lights in the house dim for a second then come back up. We have no natural gas where we live so everything in the house is electric.

Now the details :)

I find our electrical set-up somewhat unique and have a couple ideas as to where the problem may be.

Outside a single line comes from the pole at the road ~120 ft where the main line continues to our neighbor's and a smaller line splits off to our house, each about ~60-75 ft.
  • Here is where I think the first problem may be as the line coming to our house is only about 6-8 gauge off the main line shared with out neighbor's which appears to be 4-6 gauge.
Then the the wires tie into 4 gauge wire at the head before going to the meter. (see pic)
Dimming lights in entire house 20200210_212730 - EletriciansForums.netDimming lights in entire house 20200210_212652 - EletriciansForums.net

Next from here, the 4 gauge wire runs ~30 ft to the main panel in this conduit.
  • Here is where is I think another possible problem may lie. The line comes in on the other side of what I believe is either an add-on, or the old garage converted to living space. I am not sure if this is too long from the meter to the main panel. I am not sure if the meter outside was moved, or it was always here, but it does not appear that the meter or the panel were ever moved. However, the previous owner did not do this add-on/conversion so I cannot say for sure. Based on my research, it has been 20+ years since it was done.
This add-on has its own 100 amp sub panel as well. There is also a 100 amp sub panel in our barn.
Dimming lights in entire house schematic - EletriciansForums.net

Finally here is a picture of the two panels in the house, the main and the sub in the add-on/conversion. I can get one from the barn if needed. Any thoughts?
Dimming lights in entire house 20200210_211941 - EletriciansForums.netDimming lights in entire house 20200210_211949 - EletriciansForums.netDimming lights in entire house 20200210_211956 - EletriciansForums.netDimming lights in entire house 20200210_213103 - EletriciansForums.net

I know this a long post, so I thank you for your time and any feedback you may have. I am leaning towards calling the electric company about the outside line, but really don't want to open a can of worms that could potentially cost thousands right now if there is a chance that it is internal.

Last edited:
Whilst electricity is pretty much the same stuff all over the world over, there are slight difference with voltage, frequency etc and how is supplied. If your lights dim when a large load is applied, somethings not right. It could a supply problem, loose connection or something within your property.

Whatever, it needs further investigation. Your supplier would need to inspect their bit, and you might need you installation inspected.

I'm have no idea about American installations, but looking at your pics, your installation doesn't look particularly very healthy.

Hopefully, one of the American members, will be along shortly to advise.

Hi!

DIY electrical guy here. I am hoping someone can point me in some direction on this. I live in Ohio if that helps. We bought this house a year ago and it has always been a problem. The general inspector didn't note anything really out of the ordinary with our setup, but he was not an electrician either.

Basically the problem is that whenever a larger electrical load (Stove, Dryer, Heat Pump, etc.) all the lights in the house dim for a second then come back up. We have no natural gas where we live so everything in the house is electric.

I find our electrical set-up somewhat unique and have a couple ideas as to where the problem may be.

Outside a single line comes from the pole at the road ~120 ft where the main line continues to our neighbor's and a smaller line splits off to our house, each about ~60-75 ft.
  • Here is where I think the first problem may be as the line coming to our house is only about 6-8 gauge off the main line shared with out neighbor's which appears to be 4-6 gauge.
Then the the wires tie into 4 gauge wire at the head before going to the meter. (see pic)
View attachment 55689View attachment 55687

• Here is where is I think another possible problem may lie. The line comes in on the other side of what I believe is either an add-on, or the old garage converted to living space. I am not sure if this is too long from the meter to the main panel. I am not sure if the meter outside was moved, or it was always here, but it does not appear that the meter or the panel were ever moved. However, the previous owner did not do this add-on/conversion so I cannot say for sure. Based on my research, it has been 20+ years since it was done.
This add-on has its own 100 amp sub panel as well. There is also a 100 amp sub panel in our barn.
View attachment 55692

Finally here is a picture of the two panels in the house, the main and the sub in the add-on/conversion. I can get one from the barn if needed. Any thoughts?
View attachment 55694View attachment 55695View attachment 55696View attachment 55697

I know this a long post, so I thank you for your time and any feedback you may have. I am leaning towards calling the electric company about the outside line, but really don't want to open a can of worms that could potentially cost thousands right now if there is a chance that it is internal.
Looks like you are experiencing, "Voltage Drop" when the heavy load is tuned on, as per Midwest get your supplier involved to check the condition of the supply, one of our American Members may be able to help. good luck

Looks like you are experiencing, "Voltage Drop" when the heavy load is tuned on, as per Midwest get your supplier involved to check the condition of the supply, one of our American Members may be able to help. good luck
Hi!

View attachment 55689View attachment 55687

View attachment 55692

View attachment 55694View attachment 55695View attachment 55696View attachment 55697

football welcome to the forum and to start with the power company is not going to change the wire size because it can withstand more amperage in free air which keeps it cool. I suspect you have a loose connection in your main panel on the main lugs Yes them panels look like crap but they are still doing there job. Call an electrician to come over and check you main connections. Even though the power coming in is feeding 3 houses that will not effect you. Good luck

Thank you all for the replies, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have not had the chance to revisit this and with everything going on, I don't think I want anyone coming to the house unnecessarily.

Once things settle down I plan on having an electrician come out to take a look.

Thanks again!

While it is clear this needs to be looked at by a professional, if it turns out that there is some volt drop issue that the electricity company won't do anything about then one other option to make it less annoying is to look at LED lights instead of tungsten filament lamps as they show less change in brightness with voltage.

Thanks, unfortunately we already have all LEDs in the house and it's still really noticable. I'm actually more worried about our electronics being damaged due to the voltage fluctuations.

Thanks, unfortunately we already have all LEDs in the house and it's still really noticable. I'm actually more worried about our electronics being damaged due to the voltage fluctuations.
Once your electrician gets there he will read the line voltage coming in from the power company which in my experience should be 240vac

Reply to Dimming lights in entire house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock