Search the forum,

Discuss Dimming or just being dim!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tino2199

I was hoping for some advice. Recently installed 5 x 4.3w Led Gu10's in a bathroom controlled with a dimmer switch. Everything works fine except my customer wants to be able to turn the dimmer right down then press it on and for lights to come on at their lowest light level. The dimmer switch will not do this. I've tried 3 dimmer switches in total with no joy. Each time the switch needs to be at mid level before being turned down.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

This can be a symptom of insufficient load on the dimmer. Is the minimum load rating shown on it?

I've used a 0w dimmer and yeah the LED's are dimmable. The dimmer in circuit does that job fine except wont start the lamps at lowest setting. Should I increase load somehow?

The problem your encountering, is that some Led lamps need more energy to turn them on, than is available when they are dimmed down and then turned off. Zano Led dimmer have a start level pre-set, which can give the lamps a boost when turning them on from a minimum dim, but they aren't cheap. Varilight have some good dimmers, and are cheaper. It might be your client might have to accept the Led lamps to be slightly less dimed when they turn them off, so than can turn them on if you see what I mean.

PS, you should use a dimmer recommended by the manufacturer of the lamps.

Last edited:
aurora dimmers (and recently BG nexus too) have a little adjustment screw at the back, for setting the maximum dimming level before the lamps cut off.

Reply to Dimming or just being dim!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net