Discuss LED Dimmer headaches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

easiebold

DIY
Reaction score
I really need help with this puzzler.
First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring.
My puzzle: I am trying to replace a single-pole toggle with a dimmer to a recently installed chandelier (4 led candelabra-based bulbs, 5w each, stated on box to be dimmable).
The toggle worked just fine - on and off. No problem.
The installation of the dimmer however is driving me nuts.
1. With dimmer in circuit and 'on', the candelabra bulbs do NOT light, nor do they dim.
The power is on. I can detect power into the dimmer, and, when in the on position, I can detect power out to the bulbs.
In the off position, I can detect power into the dimmer, but not out.
The neutral wire has not been touched through this.

2. I returned that dimmer in exchange for a like-minded dimmer. The new one does not 'work' either.
I used a known dimmer of a different format which worked just fine in another circuit (led bulbs) with the same results - nothing.

3. I changed all the bulbs - again led, candelabra, 5w, dimmable. No change.

4. I checked the power in line into the work box and disconnected two other circuits being powered off that line. Using 'direct' contact now, the results are the exact same.

5. I put the first toggle back in the circuit and it works just fine - on and off, except, of course, it doesn't dim.

Could it be the chandelier itself somehow?
I really bothers me that with the dimmer in place, I could detect power in and, when on, power out. So power was going to the bulbs, but they didn't light. None of this makes any sense to me.

check the instructions for the led bulbs, they may require a certain type of dimmer.

I really need help with this puzzler.
First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring.
My puzzle: I am trying to replace a single-pole toggle with a dimmer to a recently installed chandelier (4 led candelabra-based bulbs, 5w each, stated on box to be dimmable).
The toggle worked just fine - on and off. No problem.
The installation of the dimmer however is driving me nuts.
1. With dimmer in circuit and 'on', the candelabra bulbs do NOT light, nor do they dim.
The power is on. I can detect power into the dimmer, and, when in the on position, I can detect power out to the bulbs.
In the off position, I can detect power into the dimmer, but not out.
The neutral wire has not been touched through this.

2. I returned that dimmer in exchange for a like-minded dimmer. The new one does not 'work' either.
I used a known dimmer of a different format which worked just fine in another circuit (led bulbs) with the same results - nothing.

3. I changed all the bulbs - again led, candelabra, 5w, dimmable. No change.

4. I checked the power in line into the work box and disconnected two other circuits being powered off that line. Using 'direct' contact now, the results are the exact same.

5. I put the first toggle back in the circuit and it works just fine - on and off, except, of course, it doesn't dim.

Could it be the chandelier itself somehow?
I really bothers me that with the dimmer in place, I could detect power in and, when on, power out. So power was going to the bulbs, but they didn't light. None of this makes any sense to me.
Can you try it with a normal filament lamp in one of the holders

From The Home Depot: Ecosmart, dimmable, daylight, 60w replacement (7w), E12 candelabra base LED.
I had also tried the 40w replacement (5w) LED.
Sadly blocked from Home Depot.... i was trying to get the tech specs of the specific lamps, manufacturer model type etc, it has been known for lamp packaging to incorrectly label their products. Might be worth looking at Home Depot online and getting as much info as you can to identify the manufacturer and verify the specs against the packaging... Hope this helps

Sadly blocked from Home Depot.... i was trying to get the tech specs of the specific lamps, manufacturer model type etc, it has been known for lamp packaging to incorrectly label their products. Might be worth looking at Home Depot online and getting as much info as you can to identify the manufacturer and verify the specs against the packaging... Hope this helps
I think I'll get some bulbs from another outlet just to be sure then.
I appreciate the help.

I think I'll get some bulbs from another outlet just to be sure then.
I appreciate the help.
Dont know your dimmer, but most dimmers i have come across will operate a non dimming lamp on maximum brightness setting, i.e. rotated to max.. The issues normally come when you try and reduce from max.
You probably already tried that, the next thing is the minimum turn on current, i.e.. you may not have enough load to get it going, thats where having an ordinary incandescent light in the group can help get it started.
Good luck

Guess not
Mainline: sorry for my delay. At my age I'm just not moving as fast as I used to in the past.
After each 'trial' solution I need to restore the toggle so we have lights each night. Then there is the fun of going up and down the basement stairs to and from the circuit breaker.
What probably would take you 30 min will take me much, much longer.
Today I hope to get out and find some incandescent bulbs to try out.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions made so far - they've all sounded both logical and understandable and I've appreciated that.

Thank you all for your help.

Mainline: sorry for my delay. At my age I'm just not moving as fast as I used to in the past.
After each 'trial' solution I need to restore the toggle so we have lights each night. Then there is the fun of going up and down the basement stairs to and from the circuit breaker.
What probably would take you 30 min will take me much, much longer.
Today I hope to get out and find some incandescent bulbs to try out.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions made so far - they've all sounded both logical and understandable and I've appreciated that.

Thank you all for your help.
No problem, let us know how you get on.

Reply to LED Dimmer headaches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net