Discuss Din Rail mounted equipment ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pymmie

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to quote for around 12/14 properties and the spec requires all the AC equipment to be mounted inside the consumer unit.

can anyone recommend a good generation meter?

Also is it OK to fit a standard DP switch as an AC isolator as long as it's lockable ?

Consumer unit will be Hager

Thanks in advance

John P

Do you mean the isolator will be in the CU? I would have thought the lockable isolator should be adjacent to the compressor unit, someone will have other ideas, but thats how I installed them.

Do you mean the isolator will be in the CU? I would have thought the lockable isolator should be adjacent to the compressor unit, someone will have other ideas, but thats how I installed them.

He's talking about the AC switchgear and ocpd for a PV system, not an aircon system i think.

3-pole 32A lockable rotary AC isolator, din-mount (3-ways) in a Hensel garage CU (enough depth to close lid) or 2-pole MCB. 1-way backlit kWh meter, dual-pole RCBO (if need RCD and limited on DIN-rail space) CUs available in 4, 6, 9 or 12 ways. Options are many and varied, we stock all components so decision is yours as to how you want to configure it.

All of course in metal not plastic enclosures I hope :)

If you guys are going to have to use metal/non-combustible enclosures for household CUs etc, will this impact on RCD decision-making?

Bruce - the Elios works like any other WiFi device, if the signal is compromised by being in a metal box then that would be a problem. If you fitted the Elios in its own plastic enclosure, rather than incorporated in the main AC CU, will this contravene the new regs?

Yes, I am teasing really. For one I am doing at the moment I was trying to get a 3 phase elios and a 3 phase din rail meter inside the main DB to minimise boxes on the wall, but cannot because the main DB is metal (a smart hager commercial unit). So I am going to use a separate plastic CU to hold them. In 6 months or so that will not meet the regs in domestic settings, although a CT meter is probably ok. as no LV mains at meter position.

I do not think the metal CU will affect rcd/rcbo decisions particularly - they will be driven by the requirement for additional protection for cables buried in walls in domestic settings. I think the schemes are still trying to get their minds around what they recommend with TT supplies and metal consumer units as a fault from the incoming tails would have no rcd protection.

A short antenna extension cable so antenna is external to cu might be a useful addition to the elios offering.

Last edited:
We do have until 1 Jan 16 before the metal consumer unit rule for domestic comes into force.

Various manufacturers do extra bushing to protect TT cables going into metal CUs. However the schemes have always prefered an upfront rcd for a TT system to be in a plastic enclosure. That is arguably difficult under the new rules. It is a moot point whether a metal casing with TT presents more or less risk than an upfront rcd in a plastic enclosure catching fire.

Reply to Din Rail mounted equipment ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net