Discuss Direction advice Part 2 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

claret73

I already got some good feedback & so have taken stock & thought on how I can proceed in the times we're in...

I need to enhance the CV! I need some more paper qualifications & pots more experience, especially Commercial/Industrial. Only way I'm possibly going to get this is to bombard the Agencies & see what they can put me on.
So, looking to fund (once again) more courses that will hopefully give me a bit more credit than just my 2330 L3 & 17th. So I have a little list:

ECS (It's running out November, so I'll update & apply for my card, possibly Trainee?)
17th Amend Update
2392-10 (I could go for 2391 but with little Commercial/Industrial, am I going to have the practical to back up the paper. No, I don't think so)
IPAF
PASMA
Asbestos Awareness (expired, so might need to look at it again)

This little lot will come at a price, somewhere around £1200ish. Armed with this, I'll update the CV, hit the Agencies, Wholesalers & work my way through Contractors again. Got to find some work in next Month or so, otherwise I'm right in the mire! & I'll be seeking out anything Minimum Wage, which I'm hoping I can avoid. Clinging to the hope of the effort I've put in since 2007 is going to get me something?...

So, Advice on this one, would be - Would you do the same if you were in my shoes? Speculate to accumulate I guess?

Why are you concerned about the 2391 practical?its the most domestically biased course I've ever seen,if that's your bag you'll be fine with it,you get talked through the whole thing anyway during practice and as Ive previously stated it could theoretically be passed by simply practising where the test probes go and memorising the results.
Whats your ACTUAL work background?

I would suggest NVQ level 3, then get your 'sparks' card, and I have had enough non electrical jobs just driving the machines to more than pay for my IPAF. The rest I wouldn't bother with for the moment. Get in with the agencies as a mate, the rates are not too bad and will provide you with enough evidence for your NVQ.

Where are you based?

Why are you concerned about the 2391 practical?...Whats your ACTUAL work background?
No concerns with the exam side of things at all. I thought about doing the 2391 straight after doing my Level 3 as got Distinctions there, so felt I had the exam head to tackle it. My concern is, I rock up to a company stating I've got 2391 & get given a PIR on a Factory..Uh Oh!...That's the kind of scenario I'm not going to have experience in to back up the paperwork. I know 2391 isn't a walk in the park, but I'd have a good head to give it a good go. Background is mainly Domestic with the Tiniest of Retail commercial. Finished my 2330 in 2010 & have been working since 2009 on & off...

I would suggest NVQ level 3, then get your 'sparks' card, and I have had enough non electrical jobs just driving the machines to more than pay for my IPAF. The rest I wouldn't bother with for the moment. Get in with the agencies as a mate, the rates are not too bad and will provide you with enough evidence for your NVQ.

Where are you based?
Based in Birmingham, but going to try hedging bets with some South West & South Coast Agencies/Firms (Used to live there)

Basically registration to start the 2391 has finished, you can take resits up to the December final date but you have to be registered already. It is because they have introduced the two replacement exams to replace it. I.e. two sets of fees.

The course has been split into the 2394 Initial verification, for new installations and 2395 which is supposed to cover the Periodic stuff.
the exams will each be in 3 parts.
1. multiple choice.
2. written exam.
3. practical test.
The multiple choice is the new bit, I do not know if you can take reference books into the written. You were not allowed too for the 2391.

No concerns with the exam side of things at all. I thought about doing the 2391 straight after doing my Level 3 as got Distinctions there, so felt I had the exam head to tackle it. My concern is, I rock up to a company stating I've got 2391 & get given a PIR on a Factory..Uh Oh!...That's the kind of scenario I'm not going to have experience in to back up the paperwork. I know 2391 isn't a walk in the park, but I'd have a good head to give it a good go. Background is mainly Domestic with the Tiniest of Retail commercial. Finished my 2330 in 2010 & have been working since 2009 on & off...

Tbh mate no one really knows how they'll cope when they actually start doing the work so I wouldn't get too hung up on it all,it's unlikely that you'll just be dropped in at the deep end anyway and even more unlikely that you'll be asked to complete an entire pir on a factory as a first project,either way just go with it,remember what you learnt and your on your way.
Not often you'll be able to isolate much on a factory pir as management won't want the area down for too long,you'll most likely find that it won't be much more than a few db's etc.
I came out of my time straight into the worst line in the factory and it was sink or swim time and I got through it fella so I'm sure you'll be fine.

No books allowed in any. The Multiple choice covers both 2394 and 5 so you only sit that once (did it on Thursday - piece of cake) The 2394 written - not too bad if you've ripped through enough 2391 passed papers, couple of curve balls in there, but not too harsh. The 2395 written was a complete bitch! So I'm expecting to have to retake that unit. It's tough, but the thing with the testing is, if you are unsure about something, you ask someone or get your books out. In the exam, that's not an option, and when you're under pressure, that hour and a half goes bloody quick - I don't think I could remember how to write for the first 20 mins!

@Stonejenson. Did you do both the 2394 & 5 in one go? Kinda thinking maybe of 2394 then prep & prepare for the 2395 afterwards. I assume this is fazing out 2392 as currently some providers offer this still.

Hi Claret,Just my own opinion but rather than concentrating entirely on doing all those qualifacations listed,spend a bit of time determining the type of work out there which is possible/viable and then focus on the specific quals these would require. You can soak up a lot of time and funds accruing the certs only to find whats out there isnt bothered about them.If an employer IS bothered about specific qualifacations,the least they will do is check when you attained them and what you have done, due to them,since. Some of the expense of initiating those quals could be directed contacting,preferably in person,the companies/employers for whom you fancy working for. I know it sounds a bit knaf but persiverence will pay off eventually.I was talking to a lad in our local supermarket a while ago,he listed all he had done at Uni,grades were outstanding but he was 23 and was juggling tins of soup.I asked who he had intended asking for a job when he had finished his education and he said "i didnt really know,i just thought get good grades and i would probably get head-hunted..." Now that approach probably worked a few years back but if no-one is chasing those qualifacations all he did was hide from employment for 5/7 years.I genuinely hope you get the opportunity doing something you like and if you do,post back,i would be made up for you.All the best.

PEG
Some very good advice there! Thanks! Some of the qualies are minimum, like the 17th Amend unless I buy the book & make myself aware of all the changes...Things like IPAF I've seen asked for so that would help. I've been narrowed in the Domestic Market with little opportunities outside of this, but TBH I've not been banging the Agencies. So currently haven't found an ideal, just know I need to up my experience and see what's out there beyond that to focus on something...

claret, it might be worth forgeting the testing and the rest and looking at a pts course as new street will be running for another 3 years ish. There will also be rail work through the town and up broad st which has all had the go-ahead.It might cost the best part of £500 to get the pts card but if your looking for a mates job they are always advertising somewhere in the region of £80 to 100 per day. with the rest of your money get yourself on the nvq 3 before it changes in dec/jan? xs training and delta are about £650 and you get around 3 years to complete, then you can get your jib card!! good luck

Reply to Direction advice Part 2 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock