Discuss Distribution board question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

leebut

-
Reaction score
hi guys

Question for the knowledgeable on here, I went to look at a possible board change last night after the couple had experienced the ring final circuit going down when the fuse wire burnt out due to s faulty socket outlet had burnt out

The socket face had been replaced by the customers insurance companies emergency electrician, my question is why would the distribution head unit have overheated and melted quite a bit of black tar out the bottom edges

See the photo i have enclosed

Regards

Lee

Distribution board question B10B0654-C1A8-4FB1-8F4A-7EBB4F4C462C - EletriciansForums.net

It is not unusual for the tar to ooze out of those types of cables over time.
Did you point this out to the electrician ?
They can test it for you and determine if there are any problems.
But just because it is coming out doesn't mean it is a problem.
A megger type test will soon tell you.

If there is tar coming from the service head, it would be worth getting the DNO out to check there isn't an issue - an loose connection overheating perhaps.

As @dmxtothemax says, it's not unusual but it would be worth getting it looked at. The whole lot looks like it might be due an upgrade anyway (cast iron service head?), plus they could fit an isolator for that board change.

It's bitumen, an from the looks of that I wouldn't say it's an issue.

It cold flows naturally, but the DNO will come out an check it for you. They'll come a bit faster if you tell them it feels hot....

I'd be more concerned why the G/Y bond has been disconnected and is just hanging in free air.

Also the proximity to the gas meter, far to close.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies

ROB

The earth/gas bonding is connected in the Wyler board to the right whoever did the last install had looped it through the MET as you can see, but somehow the brass bolt had come out and got lost not sure if that happed when emergency spark came out to the customers house on Saturday.

My concern with the earthing arrangements is the size of the original earth it must only be 4 or 6mm

The tar has poured out recently so it must have warmed up at some point, there has been a smart meter installed recently too, but nothing said to DNO About the condition of the head at that point going to advise customer to get the local DNO our ready for me to carry out board change.

Cheers

Everyone

Dear oh dear , that lot is a sorry state ....

As above get the cut out replaced and a new isolation switch installed just before the old fuse box ,

Then do a full Eicr on the property and later down the line a new consumers unit

My concern with the earthing arrangements is the size of the original earth it must only be 4 or 6mm

Does it show signs of overheating or thermal damage?

Is the Ze compliant.

If so it's still ok for service.

Edit: If you are having the head replaced it would be upgraded at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

What size is it required to be for this particular installation? 4 or 6 is often all that is required when you calculate it.

As a matter of urgency I would have called out the DNO on the spot. I am astonished the "emergency electrician" did not do so or that he would blithely connect a new socket without addressing the earthing and checking that is ok before doing any remedial work. I think I would offer to talk to the insurers for the client to discuss the matter. I am concerned the insurance company is allowing such a cavalier approach to electrical safety. If as you say tar had melted out of the main supply cable then DNO immediately!

16mm earth on any installation where the tails are up to 35mm so being either 4 or 6mm is way undersized

Nonsense, where did you get that from? The size required is calculated using the adiabatic equation and subject to a minimum of 4mm if I remember correctly.
16mm would be the size you install if you choose to select the conductor size rather than calculate, but you cannot use this method to assess an existing installation as undersized.

As a matter of urgency I would have called out the DNO on the spot. I am astonished the "emergency electrician" did not do so or that he would blithely connect a new socket without addressing the earthing and checking that is ok before doing any remedial work. I think I would offer to talk to the insurers for the client to discuss the matter. I am concerned the insurance company is allowing such a cavalier approach to electrical safety. If as you say tar had melted out of the main supply cable then DNO immediately!

What is wrong with the earthing to prevail an emergency?

Also a small amount of bitumen is quite common to leak from these heads, so again what would you reasoning behind the emergency?

There is not enough information provided to say the emergency electrician has acted inappropriately.

The homeowner has phoned Electricity North West who are their DNO they’re going today to look at the head unit, customer is getting back to me once they’ve been today

This is what regulations I work to

View attachment 48533

That is not the regulations, that is a guide to to the regulations. Also if you read it properly you will see that it says quite clearly that the adiabatic equation can be used to calculate the size of earthing conductor required. If you carry out this calculation you will find that 6mm I slamost always sufficient for domestic supplies.

Reply to Distribution board question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock