Discuss Diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daver

Just a knowledge question really. Have only just qualified, so dont batter me down with my 2nd post

Just starting a job, which is 8 double bedded flats in an existing large house.
Was going to run 1 ring per flat but for ease, this is now 1 ring and 2 radials. 48A
1 Lighting 3.96A
1 Cooker 10.65A
So totalling with diversity 62.6A

16mm down to Incomer and a 63A Breaker.

The landlord has 1 lighting circuit, with emergency lights and smokes.

So my calculation is approx 510A

What will the electricity company have to supply for this?
Do they apply a diversity factor on the 9 feeds

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

Some questions,
1) Are the supply cables going to be at a depth of less than 50mm?
2) What is the length of each run?
3) What is the installation method?
4) Are they in any insulation, if so, how deep?
5) You have not mentioned showers. I hope all 16 people will not want to use the bathroom at the same time (mind you, i have seen 28 Polish in a 4 bed house).
6) Cookers. Is it 1 per room
7) Smoke alarms.
8) Are you having coin meters.

I am sure there is more but i think you need to answer some of these first.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Are the supply cables going to be at a depth of less than 50mm?
Boxed in, and clipped to wooden back board, but certainly deeper than 50 mm

2) What is the length of each run?
Straight up from hallway to each floor and CU, on that vertical plane. So longest will be 2 stories, so 2 longest are top floor. 16ft ceilings so aproxx 35ft to furthest

3) What is the installation method?
Clipped
4) Are they in any insulation, if so, how deep?
No Insulation
5) You have not mentioned showers. I hope all 16 people will not want to use the bathroom at the same time (mind you, i have seen 28 Polish in a 4 bed house).
Multipoint boiler
6) Cookers. Is it 1 per room
1 per flat, 2.6kw
7) Smoke alarms.
1 per flat
8) Are you having coin meters.
Meters in hallway, (not coin) but 9 individual.

I have done the diversity on the flats. It is down to Electric company now to Install.

I was just wondering what would be required, and would they apply diversity accross the 9 flats.

It was what sort of supply will they give the landlord. As normal 3 phase is only 80 or 100amp per phase

Just a knowledge question really.

Thanks again

im sure some one will be along to help you shortly ,dave this is not my area

Assuming that the existing supply is a standard single phase supply of 80 or 100amps the required supply will have to be upgraded. You will need to contact the suppliers and inform them of the required upgrade. You will receive back a load of forms to fill out and the total loading will be required on this. Full details of the proposed supply distribution within the installation should be provided to the suppliers and they will then arrange for the necessary supply to be installed. In the installation you describe the odds are that it will be three phase, however they will inform you of what they are to install. Whether they apply diversity or not is down to them however if you were to require 160 amps per phase they will normally install a 200amp supply and down rate the fusing. A word of warning, this will not be cheap. :eek:

Tony

Thanks for that. It was just to fill my head with more info. It is not my worry, I have told the landlord what is required and he has the forms already.
So, that is 9 supplies, 8 Gas and 8 water meters.

Its an expensive hobby developing property.

Cheers guys.

Nice you want to know that little bit more. When they have installed the new supply have a chat with the engineer and see if he will let you see the file. Some areas actually have all the spec on the installation file papers and so you should then be able to see how your area operates.

Reply to Diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock