Discuss diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

I know diversity can be applied to a cooker for working out the current demand. Along the lines of first 10 amps plus 30% of the rest plus 5 for a socket outlet.
However, what if an electric hob and cooker are seperate but supplied on the same radial. Does diversity apply to each separately or to the overall total. For example if they were rated at 5kW and 7 kW respectively and you apply diversity to each then total current approx would be 30A but if you apply it to the total 12kW then diversity says the cable calc could be based on approx 23A. Quite a difference.

This is just a theoretical question to know what is the correct answer. I know in practice you would err on the side of caution and use a cable and protection that would leave a bit of spare capacity.

I'd say apply diversity to the total demand..ie total kw!
Reson why i say this is that diversity applies to the fusing factor and then the cable matches up with the fuse rating, and cable doesn't relate directly to diversity as such..

Hope this helps, and any more feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd say apply diversity to the total demand..ie total kw!
Reson why i say this is that diversity applies to the fusing factor and then the cable matches up with the fuse rating, and cable doesn't relate directly to diversity as such..

Hope this helps, and any more feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

33 views before a reply -so thanks. I thought the same but not for such a sensible reason. i was just working on the lines that the hob and oven could have been just one combined appliance.

Reply to diversity in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock