Discuss DIY access status badge in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a quick thought... I don't especially like that professionals who have access to the section to give advice, get a badge that just says 'DIY'. We understand what it means, but the casual reader or Googler might get the wrong impression if they don't work out its significance. The 'Trainee Access' one is similar although a little clearer.

Could it say something else to distinguish from actual DIYers and trainees?

nowt wrong with assisting a DIYer with simple jobs like replacing a socket/switch etc. most other jobs, members advise to get an electrician.

the only thing is now missing for some distinctive members
Showing forum mentor ect.is a DFC.
because when some diyers ask qestions some members are flying by seat of their pants .lol.
you wet the bed?

I do realise that what I'm about to say is "old hat", and there will be some that decry my question, please don't bother to have a go at me I've heard it all before, and I know there are others who agree with me, nothing is more frustrating than, when trying to answer what seems a genuine question, you click the "about button" and get told that "oh no we have a problem" or similar. but why oh why, do some members block their information?
When trying to answer a question, it's a good idea to try and find out who, you are replying to and their level of expertise, is it vanity, or some form of shame that they have none or very little electrical experience, there is no shame in that surely.
Before the doubters have ago at me for bringing this up again, I feel that openness is a good thing, it will help the forum, I'm sure, I realise that some folk are reluctant to dish out personal information, but surely a little background information is not damaging their Human Rights. To put it bluntly, are those who don't add any info, just chancers? Sorry for the rant, or moaning Man Syndrome.

Perhaps we could have a grading of all members on here. So top flight sparks get a gold badge. Domestic a silver badge, Improvers a bronze badge and DIY a Plumbum badge and all others a cardboard badge?

Agree, Trainee advisor and DIY adviser would look more professional.
You can help Trainees, but with the embargo on how much you can help DIYer, we cant give step by step instructions, so perhaps Admin could set out how far to go with help, I have been commented on by some members in the past about advising DIYers to "get an Electrician in to help" which is sound advice in many instances. Far to many home owner who aren't Electrically competent, will harm themselves, by attempting the simplest of tasks, changing a rewireable fuse as an example, without rectifying any faults that still exist on the circuit in question. How many home owners do you know that own or are aware of the "safe isolation" procedure "oh I'll be OK I'll just pull the fuse," a recipe for disaster if for example the circuit has reversed polarity, I'm all for self help and saving money, so I guess the question is "how far do we go" with our advice. It's all very well helping a DIYer with advice on "what or how much should I be expected to pay for so and so work, or where is the best place to get some cable etc". So sorry for the ramble folks. I'm not against DIYers far from it.
Just wondering if anyone is aware of any statistics on DIY Electrical injuries or deaths, you only have to look at the number of outlets where Mr or Mrs Joe Public can buy Domestic electrical accessories, how many of us have had the phone call "Just been to sparkyfix and bought some lovely new switches, and can't connect them, tried but now I don't have any electric in my house"

Last edited:
Electrical Trainee is just those that showing off Pete....electrical trainee far more realistic :)
Electrical Trainee is just those that showing off Pete....electrical trainee far more realistic :)
Not realistic Mate a joke is more to the point

Reply to DIY access status badge in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock