Discuss DIY "electrician". Is he breaking the law? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ok guys so I have a friend of a friend who has zero electrical qualifications. He's setup his own lighting business doing LED conversions. He mainly swaps fluorescent light fittings for LED panels and sometimes adds extra fittings too. He's done so in offices, factories, gyms and he's soon going to be working in schools. He hasn't got any test instruments and doesn't get any Zs values for any of the circuits that he's worked on and therefore doesn't produce any sort of certification.

My question is, is he breaking the law?

I find it crazy as the company I work for requires a minor works certificate every time I replace a socket outlet or a light switch.

I'll leave the legal bits to someone else.
On the insurance side, they operate in a way to quantify and reduce their risks. So I'm fairly sure that his insurance company will have assumed he is competent to do the work and so there may be issues if there was ever a claim. Likewise, I'm fairly sure the building owner's insurance would assume the owner would only engage a competent person to do electrical work and so they may not honour a future related claim. Bit like letting someone drive your car when you know they can't drive or couldn't be bothered to ask if they had a licence perhaps ?

It would be hard to prove he was breaking the law.
The building regulations require a good standard of workmanship and not to lower the standards of an existing building.
The lack of certification does not sound like good workmanship, but he might be working neatly and safely, though how he would demonstrate this is dubious.
The health and safety at work act would require him not to expose others or himself to hazards, again difficult to prove he wasn't but likely that he is.

Once something goes wrong then it will be proved (or not) he was breaking the law but not until then unfortunately.

By doing the work he is not breaking any laws. Does anyone of his work contravene the E&WR 1989 well that may come to light should some unfortunate soul fall foul of poor workmanship then he may well end up in a court of law. Would be interesting to see any contracts, if any for these works.

By doing the work he is not breaking any laws. Does anyone of his work contravene the E&WR 1989 well that may come to light should some unfortunate soul fall foul of poor workmanship then he may well end up in a court of law. Would be interesting to see any contracts, if any for these works.
Nah Westy someones passing the brown envelope around imo

It's highly unlikely that he'll have appropriate insurance cover if he's been honest in setting up a policy; and even if he has "cover" it's likely not to cover the electrical work he's doing in the event of a claim. If say he works on a Class 1 fitting where the cpc is floating, and subsequently someone suffers a shock from the fitting, questions are going to be asked of the last person to work on the fitting...i.e. him!

Not an unusual story, these days. The profession is going to pot.

It goes on in domestics and to a growing extent in commercial and industrial but, when it comes schools, it really is getting stupid.

I do while-you-wait,at work,and my newest addition,where you send the parts requiring inspection,in a jiffy bag. Finally,at work,i can feel a right ---- ;)

Ok guys so I have a friend of a friend who has zero electrical qualifications. He's setup his own lighting business doing LED conversions. He mainly swaps fluorescent light fittings for LED panels and sometimes adds extra fittings too. He's done so in offices, factories, gyms and he's soon going to be working in schools. He hasn't got any test instruments and doesn't get any Zs values for any of the circuits that he's worked on and therefore doesn't produce any sort of certification.

My question is, is he breaking the law?

I find it crazy as the company I work for requires a minor works certificate every time I replace a socket outlet or a light switch.
Good luck to him if he can get someone to pay him to do the work why not go for it

That's the problem with this trade too many people trying to sound clever regarding what people can and cant do. if he's willing to put in the effort good luck to him

That's the problem with this trade too many people trying to sound clever regarding what people can and cant do. if he's willing to put in the effort good luck to him

I can't disagree with the sentiment,however, we should bare in mind,electricians often have the safety of others in their hands, competence may be more important in our trade than in most others and where there is doubt there may follow tragedy

Sorry have to disagree with some of that, many jobs have the safety of other in their hands..the electrical trade is no different than a bricklayer or a carpenter they all need to do their work to a more or less reasonable standard so it doesn't fall down and clobber someone. The difference seems to be that for some misconceived reason the sparks seem to require some sort of heavy policing

Reply to DIY "electrician". Is he breaking the law? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net