Discuss DIY Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DanPNJ

DIY
Reaction score
Hello -- I will prefix this by saying that I am not an expert but have done a basic wiring around my house including wiring new outlets and fixtures but i seem to run into an unusual problem.

I recently started to renovate my basement and this involved adding new fixtures to the existing circuit. I removed the old lighting fixture and replaced it with a new one and went down the line and replaced the next fixture but when i clicked on the power and hit the switch the switch only turned on one of the lights and left the other one on constantly. The original box was completely jammed so in my attempt to wire the 2nd light in the circuit correctly in order to be able to use a switch for both lights i removed all the wires without taking notes or pictures of how it was originally wired. This resulted in alot of trial and error in the attempt to wire everything correctly.

The basement has 3 lights on 3 separate switches but one of the switches is a two way switch with the other switch being located on the top of the stairs.

After some time I was able to get it wired so that all the lights turn on as intended but I discovered an issue with one light (the two way switch). When flipping the switch the light will not turn on unless another switch is click on first and it turns on two sets of lights that were normally on separate switches. This also results in a dimmer light on one side of the basement. Depending on the combination of what switches are turns on and off it sometimes flickers like a low pulse strobe light. Im assuming this is because the switch is receiving power as if it was clicked to the off position even tho it was clicked off.

The source of power is coming from a light in another part of the basement to the overhead light fixture then two other wires are running into the box which one goes down to the switches and another goes to the overhead light that was originally controlled by the two way switch.

After some research i determined that is was wired like a two wire switch loop but instead of having one switch it has 3 which im assuming is where im having the issue because its wired correctly. The im lighting would indicate that there is too much drawing from the circuit but that wouldnt be the case since no other outlet/lights ect have been added just new fictures with the same rating as the old ones.

I have attached a picture of a diagram that i used to wire the lights the only add on would be adding the additional switch wiring.

Hopefully i have discribed this properly for someone to give me advice.

I appreciate any insight you might have

Attachments

• two wire switch loop.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 18

Reply to DIY Wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net