Discuss double single gang boxes.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevie2011

A builder mate of mine, got this domestic refurb job and asked me to do thr electrics. Being busy he offered to put in boxes for sockets and switches as he was going, knowing him my whole life, I agreed, thinking ge wouldnt make a mess of it, after all its pretty straight forward. I came back to not single or double gang boxes for the switches, but double single gang boxes. He says its just incase they wanted a dimmer for each of the separately switched lights. Obviously we know we can have two on a single gang, but anyway, its in, its all plastered. Now painted. Theres nothing I can do about it is there? Any ideas to make the best of this mess? I can post pictures later when im back on the job. My suspicionbis im stuffed really. Im going to look like a right donut.

you either get him to rectify it or fit 2 single box switches to each dual box.

Filling one side and painting it won't take long, using a blanking plate is ugly, tele's idea is best of a bad lot, but man up and fill it in ;)

Yep im stuffed. Its going to look bad. Anyway I think im going for the two switches option. He even started on some wiring while I was gone, and messed that up too. Not a big desl but its got to be re-done. Im kicking myself for being so easy going. Well itll be alright in the end, just another pain of a build then design job.

I put the cables in after he'd put the boxes in. By the way in the kitchen its not side by side but stacked. Which is probably worse.

I'm going back years. MK used to make a filler strip to go between individual switches. They looked OK untill dirt got in to the join.

All the drops have 20mm plastic conduit thats how I fed all the boxes. Conduit that didnt have couplers and bushes on. Which is also bad...

I think you have got yourself and this person's relationship wrong, he's your enemy

EDIT: it is kinda your fault for not being there during the design stage mate

Plus it's he's contract so he well be looking the donut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep im stuffed. Its going to look bad. Anyway I think im going for the two switches option. He even started on some wiring while I was gone, and messed that up too. Not a big desl but its got to be re-done. Im kicking myself for being so easy going. Well itll be alright in the end, just another pain of a build then design job.

I put the cables in after he'd put the boxes in. By the way in the kitchen its not side by side but stacked. Which is probably worse.

I thought you said it was plastered??

Sounds like the builder needs a talking too!

Why put the cables in after the boxes then, surely it would have been half an hour job to swap for singes then, before the plaster? or did I miss something?

Everything was plastered when I got back to it. Had a word about the boxes then dropped cables down the conduits inside the plaster. Didnt really get given much of a choice. There was little communication, I guess he just did what he wanted because he's known my family a long long time.

@Murdoch the wiring I'm going to fix is just a small bit in the attic space. Plaster isn't an issue there.

I would suggest a dimmer will be difficult to connect onto a 25mm2 box in anycase unless it has a deep front, most need 35mm2 boxes so his theory backfired haha

Reply to double single gang boxes.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net