Discuss ?????doubling up in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

newsparky

i was recently working as a temp wiring up xmas decorations and was told not to double up cable ends to terminate them because doubling up increased the csa therefore according to ohms law increases the current. I continue to double up as i've been trained (not at xmas company anymore) as do the lads i work with now, but theyve all conceeded the point when i've mentioned it. just wondered if its valid or just a crafty windup. :confused::confused:

Hi
Its a wind up ,"doubling up" makes the conductor longer therefore increses the resistance so the current would be less acording to ohms law,although very neglegable
doubling over fills the terminal and makes a better connection.so you should always do it if you only have one cable

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
doubling up makes the conductor longer therefore increses the resistance so the current would be less acording to ohms law,although very neglegable
doubling over fills the terminal and makes a better connection.so you should always do it if you only have one cable

LOL:eek:

Laugh Out Loud

(A bit crap I know)

Dont you agree with my answer then ,im not sure if im right either .if the cable is doubled over ,the actual cable is longer,the aditional length is in series with the other bit,therefore resistance must be incressed ,the csa is also incresed at that point so the resistance would be less ,bit of a courundrum ,wheres the welsh wizard gone?:rolleyes:

Must admit I didn't get the question, I thought it was about parallel feeders. Now I think I know what your'e on about. In effect the original answer (the wind up ) was nearly right, but in reverse.

I guess the government will now make a law, nvq level 23, how to connect a plug head. Without this qualification it will be illegal, you may connect the plug head without level 23, but an official from the council must come and inspect.

If the official finds the 0.75mm2 flex is not doubled over in the said connection point, you will be liable to a fine of £12453.00 or 50 lashes. If anyone states the resistance is lower/greater due to none doubling, they will be sectioned under rule 1342a/hy7. -;

Doubling over makes no difference (assuming a good joint) doubling over just makes the joint easier to make if the terminal point is oversize for the cable.

>>double up cable ends to terminate them because doubling up increased the csa therefore according to ohms law increases the current.>>

As I said above, at first I presumed on about parallel feeders... So the above has one word missing. I guess if some have trouble wiring xmas tree lights it may prove difficult to find the missing word (;-)

btw answers on a post card -:

very cryptic but,at a guess its a four letter word begining in f and ending in w.
so it was a wind up,

If the ends were doubled over and then inserted into a terminal and the terminal screw penetrated both bits, they then would be in parallel. Or is it series-parallel, or parallel-series. *bangs head on table* I think my head is about to explode. Ahhhhrrrggghhh !

I cant actually believe we are discussing this:rolleyes:

Must admit I didn't get the question, I thought it was about parallel feeders. Now I think I know what your'e on about. In effect the original answer (the wind up ) was nearly right, but in reverse.

I guess the government will now make a law, nvq level 23, how to connect a plug head. Without this qualification it will be illegal, you may connect the plug head without level 23, but an official from the council must come and inspect.

If the official finds the 0.75mm2 flex is not doubled over in the said connection point, you will be liable to a fine of £12453.00 or 50 lashes. If anyone states the resistance is lower/greater due to none doubling, they will be sectioned under rule 1342a/hy7. -;

Doubling over makes no difference (assuming a good joint) doubling over just makes the joint easier to make if the terminal point is oversize for the cable.

Just in from the pub or do you need sectioning:eek::rolleyes::D:p;)

Dont you agree with my answer then ,im not sure if im right either .if the cable is doubled over ,the actual cable is longer,the aditional length is in series with the other bit,therefore resistance must be incressed ,the csa is also incresed at that point so the resistance would be less ,bit of a courundrum ,wheres the welsh wizard gone?:rolleyes:

Sorry Rum, my friend :)

Think you misunderstood why I was laughing. Just being stupid with the double entenderes.

Fill the hole.
Makes the connection longer.

Nudge nudge, wink wink. Oo-er missus.
;)

Reply to ?????doubling up in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock