Discuss Drilled into wire in kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dave H99

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all - been an idiot / schoolboy error - drilled into a wire that drops down to a fused spur socket in the kitchen (for washing machine I think) - blew 30A fuse for downstairs sockets and tripped RCD. The wire is behind plasterboard.
Any advice on what the repair should be would be appreciated before I call someone in.
Any idea what this should cost?

is this the single cable that runs from an isolating switch above worktop to a socket below?

Is the damage below worktop height? You could bring the cable out the plaster and make a joint in a joint box onto a new piece of cable to the socket.
If it ends up hidden, it can be run surface.

If it’s part of the main ring before it gets to an isolator, thats a bit more complicated.

Should be a couple of hours work, but that depends on where the fault is.

If you post a photo… we love a good giggle.

As above, couple of hours for a decent spark to fix it.
if it is a nice easy one, could be in and out within the hour.
parts cost will be negligible.
p.s. Don’t feel to bad about it, these things happen.
if you never make a mistake, it just means you have spent your life doing nothing!!

is this the single cable that runs from an isolating switch above worktop to a socket below?

Is the damage below worktop height? You could bring the cable out the plaster and make a joint in a joint box onto a new piece of cable to the socket.
If it ends up hidden, it can be run surface.

If it’s part of the main ring before it gets to an isolator, thats a bit more complicated.

Should be a couple of hours work, but that depends on where the fault is.

If you post a photo… we love a good giggle.

This is the cable that runs to the isolator i.e. before the 13A socket for the washing machine. Pic attached shows where the cable is damaged in relation to the isolating switch. Makes me cringe looking at it - couldn't be more in line with the isolator switch.

Attachments

• Drilled into wire in kitchen Wire damaged - EletriciansForums.net
    Wire damaged.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
If you were thinking about wall mounting the tv, a socket where you have drilled the hole would be a great way to fix the damage and would be hidden nicely by the tv.

As above, couple of hours for a decent spark to fix it.
if it is a nice easy one, could be in and out within the hour.
parts cost will be negligible.
p.s. Don’t feel to bad about it, these things happen.
if you never make a mistake, it just means you have spent your life doing nothing!!
Would it be a case of the cable being repaired or would it need a new length installing - hopefully the former or be a lot more cost involved?

This is the cable that runs to the isolator i.e. before the 13A socket for the washing machine. Pic attached shows where the cable is damaged in relation to the isolating switch. Makes me cringe looking at it - couldn't be more in line with the isolator switch.
Looks like plasterboard. It won't be a difficult or expensive fix. As James said the absolute easiest would be if you happened to have a valid reason for a socket at that height or above it. If the cable is reasonably loose it might also be possible to put a 1 gang blanking plate towards the top of a wall.
Materials will be negligible. It's more about getting to the problem and making good.

Looks like plasterboard. It won't be a difficult or expensive fix. As James said the absolute easiest would be if you happened to have a valid reason for a socket at that height or above it. If the cable is reasonably loose it might also be possible to put a 1 gang blanking plate towards the top of a wall.
Materials will be negligible. It's more about getting to the problem and making good.
Juist been quoted around £70 - Electrician said probably using a Wago box to repair?

Juist been quoted around £70 - Electrician said probably using a Wago box to repair?

Tbh as it's plasterboard, the best, quickest, and easiest would be to pull a new length through using the existing cable and re-terminate each end.

No repair to the wall needed then.

Cable of that length would be way cheaper than a wago box and joints.

Are we all on the same page that this is the feed side not the load?
That's what I assumed. I'd expect the cable goes up the wall, horizontally through the ceiling void, then down (or perhaps up) to the next point on the circuit. I can't see a new cable being pulled through that route, not without a few holes being cut. Wagobox is how I'd tackle this.

That's what I assumed. I'd expect the cable goes up the wall, horizontally through the ceiling void, then down (or perhaps up) to the next point on the circuit. I can't see a new cable being pulled through that route, not without a few holes being cut. Wagobox is how I'd tackle this.
Only other option I could see is if by some miracle there was easy access to floor boards above, or (depending on flooring) an SBC access hole above.

Tbh as it's plasterboard, the best, quickest, and easiest would be to pull a new length through using the existing cable and re-terminate each end.

There's no way of knowing from that picture whether a new cable could be pulled in or not.
All we know is that there is plasterboard on the wall, we don't know if it is hollow or dot and dab, whether the cable is fixed in place or free to move.

We also have no idea what is above this room to know whether or not the cable can be readily accessed to replace it.

Oops, I guess I should have looked closely!

I just took a quick look, and from the previous posts, assumed it was between the switch/fcu and the socket outlet.

Yeah, probably not as easy as I first thought.

I would still try to pull it through if it looks possible, but a joint is probably necessary.

I cant see how he is going to fix this with a wago box unless there is slack on one of the cables as the wago MF box only has cable entry points at one end and also needs to check if they can be buried or plastered into a wall as i think they have to be in free air......not 100% sure though, before i get roasted

Reply to Drilled into wire in kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock