Search the forum,

Discuss dryer tripping rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JONO22

Hello all I have recently started working for myself and allwas ok until one of my customers called Basically I upgraded an old Consumer unit to a 16 duel RCDwith a Vphase system integrated on it.All tests where done before leaving and signing off
Now the tumble dryer is tripping the rcd the dryer is new soI doubt it is faulty or wet inside The rcd times are (fine I think)
no trip half

1 times 29.3 @ 0
1 times 19. 1 @ 180
5 times 8.59 @ 0
5 times 15.0 @ 180
Ramp is 48 @ 0 & 48 @ 180
The only option I have is to move the ring off the rcd but Ido not want to do this
Your help is appreciated
Earth fault?

if it's only the dryer thats causing tripping, then it's faulty, end of.

just because a dryer is new doesnt mean it can,t be faulty,I pat tested a brand new heater straight out of the box and found a wrongly wired plug(p-e reverse

The trouble I have is the customer is stating “it worked beforeyou changed my old death trap for a nicesafe C/U scenario”
I know and am able to pat test but as I as recently self-employedthat a pat tester is still on the shopping list

The trouble I have is the customer is stating “it worked beforeyou changed my old death trap for a nicesafe C/U scenario”
I know and am able to pat test but as I as recently self-employedthat a pat tester is still on the shopping list
Use an insulation resistance and continuity tester.

Do a IR test at 250V setting between L+N and E on your MFT.

I has exactly the same issue a few months back although my client was advised by other (non electrical people) that i had done something wrong and it was all my fault. I simply put her mind at rest by paying her a visit and doing a quick test (insulation resistance and continuity tester) to prove her dryer was at fault. I also put everything i could find and switched it on informing her that everything was on load and the rcd held but as soon as dryer was switched on trip. I then repeated this process with nothing switched on in the whole house and as soon as the dryer went on trip. She soon came to believe me it was the dryer

All the people telling her it was something i had done were very public about it ...kindly informing her on an open page on facebook!

Hi what would the results looklike? For good and for bad

You should be looking for an IR > 0.1M ohms at 250V for the dryer, ideally same IR spec as any standard circuit on your CU., i.e. > 1.0 Mohms @ 500V

But don't use the 500V setting on your dryer, you will kill it.

Use the 250V setting, connect L&N together and measure across L+N and E at the Plug.

Reply to dryer tripping rcd in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net