Discuss Ducts to lampposts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

hopefully someone with more experience than me can help here, I'm working on a business park where some on the lampposts have no feed, someone before me has disconnected numerous posts for reasons I don't know, I have 3 left but no power and it looks like there may be underground ducts, is there anyway of tracing the duct and the directions it goes?

im assuming something like a drain survey where the camera goes down the post etc, but is there anything affordable which can be used at survey stage?

thanks

I know no way of tracing pvc ducts unless there are still cables in them.
Why are you thinking there are ducts ?
As If there is one coming into the post its just the correct way of installing lamp posts to assist in removing the post when damaged without damaging the cable as it can be removed from the post before changing it

Last edited:
I would speak to this company they will probably be able to help with a solution and where you could hire the equipment needed. I have used this kit before for similar work and it does work although you might need to be able to access the ducts to feed a radio transmitter into them

Thanks,

it it looks like there may be ducts but only from looking inside the lamppost, you may be correct in saying it's there to just protect the cable entering the post.

i need to take another look to see if we can get a feed back to these posts, if not the client has asked about solar, has anyone used solar lampposts?

I have had this problem before at a large car park in Leeds, following on from other people who were working to a terrible standard also, things disconnected all over the show. I asked the question about getting civils involved to trace things, but was knocked back on the fact the client didn't want to spend much money, bet they got a shock when the bill landed for all those Cool Fin LED floods! A lot of head scratching later and opening 3 way cut outs to find cables made safe inside them for no apparent reason, I finally sorted it and much satisfaction was had!!

Hi dude,if there are cables in those ducts,you could use a Cat and Geny. There are also mini transponders that can be fitted to the end of rod set,with a Cat on the same frequency.

Two good lads could find what goes where and what goes nowhere,in a day.

You can be amazed at what you find...can you imagine finding that the access port of one exterior ducting,had a recently added extension sink waste,plumbed to expel its' putrid contents,straight into...

Reply to Ducts to lampposts in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net