Discuss dundee 2 way? anyone help!? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i've seen ( only a couple of times) where both 2 way switches had 3 core/E's back to the light position. was like spaghetti junction in the light fitting. 2 T/E and the 2 3 cores+ the S/L &N to the fitting. 5 cables in a ceiling rose.

i've seen ( only a couple of times) where both 2 way switches had 3 core/E's back to the light position. was like spaghetti junction in the light fitting. 2 T/E and the 2 3 cores+ the S/L &N to the fitting. 5 cables in a ceiling rose.

I've installed two-way switching like this more than once. If the light is a ceiling rose, it helps to have some of the miniature Wagos to fit the additional junctions in the rose.

1 of the times i seenit like that, customer had decided to fit a new light. he dissed everything, could nor remember how it was before, then he called me. took 1 hour to sort and get working.

1 of the times i seenit like that, customer had decided to fit a new light. he dissed everything, could nor remember how it was before, then he called me. took 1 hour to sort and get working.

I quite like jobs to fix lights where everything has been disconnected. The more wires the better, especially if some connections don't belong in the standard rose terminal blocks.

One of the best ones I had to fix was the switching for a light in another room that (for historical reasons) went via the rose in a different room. And a smoke alarm installer adding a wireless room alarm had mistaken the blue (old colours 3-core) for N. The light in the other room then never turned off completely.

this is what he had.
he had a 3 gang toggle switch. this is the wires he had at it 3 x 3 core into the first switch he had 1 x 2 core and 1 x 3 core into the second switch in the 3rd toggle he had 3 x 2 core doing 3 no of lights had a feed in and linked them all joint all neutral at switch dunno how he done go get him to draw it on a bit paper tomorow to let use all see

This name for it is probably only used in your particular area. Can you give some more details on the cir uit and then maybe we can work out what it is?
Is this wired in conduit or T&E, how many of what type of cables do you have at each switch.

There's only really two ways of wiring a two way, the standard method or the switch conversion, though there are many ways to physically connect them depending on each installation.

A standard 2 way has a live to the common of one switch, 2 straps between the switches and a switched live taken from the common of the other switch.

A switch conversion has a live to L1 and switched live from L2 at on eof the switches with 3 conductors linking the two switches (com to com, L1 to L1, L2 to L2)
I don’t know that I would call your standard method ‘standard’, at least not now.
It’s this method which causes borrowed neutrals when used on stair lighting.

2 inter, 1way this all goes back to a massive joint box get what he means now sorry if a wasted time by not fully letting use understand love the site great advice and i really do appreciate it as an apprentice this helps me loads

dundee 2 way? anyone help!? B745B665-2F5E-4128-802F-85C9994D29AD - EletriciansForums.net

dundee 2 way? anyone help!? C8DF7D68-E3B7-4215-8934-6CF4EB3E1E7D - EletriciansForums.net

theres a link from the connector of the earth to the back box just cant see it in picture
yes but the metal faceplate is more critical than the back box. either earth the faceplate/s instead or link to back box with a fly lead.

Well said Andy 78 was about to jump on the ex-potential bonding of the face plate my self there.
that looks to me like some one has used a three gang intermediate (middle of a three way) switch plate with 2 of the switches wired correct as intermediate and the third wrongly wired as a two way.
again would help if switch wires identified as clearly there are neutral's present in this switch plate box.

Hmm, based on some of what has been described (particularly the massive joint box) and from viewing the photos I might assume he has "simply" wired two three way switches and a single one way switch with the connections from all switches (excluding the one way switch) collected in a central joint box, from which the lights are also supplied.
Therefore each two way switch for both sets of three way switching would have a single 3 core cable to it, the intermediates pictured have two 2 core to each switch, as shown.
The one way switch looks like it might just be basic switch fed lighting: loop in and out (L and N) at the switch and run the switched line and neutral to the light.
Possibly looking like this (though I have got this picture wrong several times so may not be right now)! I am sure it will make things clear as crystal!
dundee 2 way? anyone help!? 3 wire 3 way twice and a one way central wiring box - EletriciansForums.net
I have not heard it called Dundee wiring though, perhaps Dumb Dee wiring?;)

Think he might be having you on...…..return bus ticket to Dundee, maybe

I don’t know that I would call your standard method ‘standard’, at least not now.
It’s this method which causes borrowed neutrals when used on stair lighting.

How on earth does it cause borrowed neutrals? I've installed a lot of 2 way circuits this way and it's never caused a borrowed neutral to appear in my wiring?

The cause of borrowed neutrals is people wiring things incorrectly through lack of knowledge, care or just plain stupidity.

How on earth does it cause borrowed neutrals? I've installed a lot of 2 way circuits this way and it's never caused a borrowed neutral to appear in my wiring?

The cause of borrowed neutrals is people wiring things incorrectly through lack of knowledge, care or just plain stupidity.
If you take the feed to the downstairs light switch from the downstairs lighting circuit, then feed the upstairs light from the upstairs light switch, where do get the neutral for that upstairs light?

If you take the feed to the downstairs light switch from the downstairs lighting circuit, then feed the upstairs light from the upstairs light switch, where do get the neutral for that upstairs light?

Obviously the neutral has to come from the same circuit as the feed, there's no question about that. In your scenario you'd either run a single neutral or a 3 core between switches then twin from upstairs switch to the light.

Always select the method of wiring the 2 way which suits the particular installation best.

I think it would be more true to say that the 'conventional' arrangement with PL at the downstairs switch and SL upstairs, offers a 'temptation' to borrow the line from the downstairs circuit, that many used to find hard to resist. The neutral at the light is the one that would have been used anyway.

One advantage of the 'switch conversion' method (PL and SL paralleled with strappers) is that there can be no open space within current loops to radiate interference from dimmers, LED drivers etc. With the conventional system, if the PL takes one route to the switch, the strapper takes another to the other switch and the SL another to the light, a large loop can be formed that radiates quite badly. I did this with some florries, and when switched on you could not listen to an AM radio anywhere near the circuit due to the buzz. Rewiring it to the 'switch conversion' method shut it up.

I wonder what names have been given to these schemes in various places. In the US, what has been called the 'switch conversion' scheme above, is 'California 3-way', and there was also the 'Carter 3-way' which has been prohibited both in the US and UK since the 20s, with the switches each sending L or N to one lamp terminal.

Reply to dundee 2 way? anyone help!? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock