Discuss Dust covered breakers , an issue ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm doing a major reorganization ATM

So I've a box of about 30 unused breakers which I threw under the bed and they've gathered dust.

Is the dust a concern or can I just blow it off with the vac ? Thanks

I'm doing a major reorganization ATM

So I've a box of about 30 unused breakers which I threw under the bed and they've gathered dust.

Is the dust a concern or can I just blow it off with the vac ? Thanks
Dust could migrate into the internal mechanism, so yes could become an issue

Dust could migrate into the internal mechanism, so yes could become an issue
Yes that's What I was wondering. They're not that bad but I can see dust has gotten onto the open DP neozed so dunno about that.Silly to leave the box unopened under a bed it's a magnet for dust
20211117_161327.jpg

The original post mentioned 'unused breakers' which kind of sounded like they were new and maybe worth salvaging. But the photo seems to show a box of what looks like old & very well used breakers that I'd have to be desperate to want to fit in a distribution board!

The original post mentioned 'unused breakers' which kind of sounded like they were new and maybe worth salvaging. But the photo seems to show a box of what looks like old & very well used breakers that I'd have to be desperate to want to fit in a distribution board!
They're not very well used, they are unused

Possibly a few used but I doubt even that

I've no intention currently to stick then into a DB but wasn't intending to bin them either

I have a site where we standardised on MEM Memshield2 boards some years ago (previously we had every make of DB under the sun!). I have drawers full of used MCBs ready to swap out in case of failure or change of circuit. Some look slightly dirty on a par with the OPs picture but can't say I'm worried as a quick clean will get them looking pristine again and the inner workings are quite well protected against dust ingress. Now if they were sitting on a shelf in a workshop with dust and crap all over them I might be concerned!

I've never known normal dust to cause problems with MCB's but I've seen a few fail when some idiot drills or chisels plasterwork above a CU or DB and the cement and brick debris got inside them.

Reply to Dust covered breakers , an issue ? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net