Discuss EAL Level 3 NVQ portfolio help? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Trainsparky

Trainee
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm going to try to get the EAL NVQ level 3 portfolio completed this year.
The problem I have is that when I look at the criteria the language used can be very confusing, leading me to not be 100% sure
how to provide the evidence ( provide a picture and small write-up, or just a write-up).

I'm doing my electrical qualification with Optionsskills, its a 6-week course then you self-study for theory exams (I've already done all of them)
portfolio, 3 practical assessments, then the AM2. I'm only 5 months into working as an electrician's mate and want to get the portfolio boxed off.
I'm not asking to cheat that's not my intention. I just don't really know how to fill out the word documents for my portfolio and hope someone can possibly help/show guidance as my tutors haven't been too helpful?

Here are my site diaries below for reference.

Thanks guys,

-Jason

Attachments

• Unit-001-Site-Diary.docx
    62.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Unit-002-Site-Diary.docx
    60.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Unit-003-Site-Diary.docx
    64 KB · Views: 93
  • Unit-004-Site-Diary.docx
    67.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Unit-005-Site-Diary.docx
    62.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Unit-006-Site-Diary.docx
    65.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Unit-007-Site-Diary.docx
    65.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi Jason, I'm in exactly the same boat as you with EAL and options skills. Does feel like it could be so much better led when it comes to the portfolio
With hindsight mate it’s a 6 weeks course and then once you finish another batch of students come in. This leads to you getting thrown into a pool of people who finished the course with limited staff to help us.

I do wish it is lead more efficiently considering the amount of money we have to pay for the course, but our best option I feel is what we have both done and made an account on this forum to seek help.

It's easy to overthink what is required and once you get going it'll become fairly straightforward.

The portfolio is a list of things that you have to achieve (and should be doing anyway).

The first statement on Unit 001 is:

"I Identified which workplace health and Safety procedures are relevant to the working environment and comply with their duties and obligations as defined by current legislation and organisational procedures."

In the box underneath this statement you need to say how you did this.

If you were working in somebody's house you might ask if it's ok to turn certain circuits off, can the pets/children be kept out of the way? Are the occupants elderly? Are you lifting floorboards etc.

If you're working in a commercial premises it stuff like fire procedures, asbestos register, signing in/out etc.

If you can, try to do one unit and then ask you assessor to look at it and give you some feedback. You basically need to look at each statement and imagine your assessor, who may not even know you, and think "have I told the assessor that I have fully complied with this statement"?

Hello guys,

The problem I have is that when I look at the criteria the language used can be very confusing, leading me to not be 100% sure
how to provide the evidence ( provide a picture and small write-up, or just a write-up).

I'm doing my electrical qualification with Optionsskills, its a 6-week course then you self-study for theory exams (I've already done all of them)
portfolio, 3 practical assessments, then the AM2. I'm only 5 months into working as an electrician's mate and want to get the portfolio boxed off.
I'm not asking to cheat that's not my intention. I just don't really know how to fill out the word documents for my portfolio and hope someone can possibly help/show guidance as my tutors haven't been too helpful?

Thanks guys,

-Jason
hi mate how did you get on with this. struggling myself

I thought that the gold card, nic and napit closed the door to the 6 week course route. Have you checked you can still get the gold card or whatever it is you are looking to achieve? The website isn't very open with course number etc.

Hi Jason, I'm in exactly the same boat as you with EAL and options skills. Does feel like it could be so much better led when it comes to the portfolio
Hi Jason and Nate

With hindsight mate it’s a 6 weeks course and then once you finish another batch of students come in. This leads to you getting thrown into a pool of people who finished the course with limited staff to help us.

I do wish it is lead more efficiently considering the amount of money we have to pay for the course, but our best option I feel is what we have both done and made an account on this forum to seek help.
Hi Jason

Have you looked at the recent site diaries. There is more explanation on each one, telling you exactly what you need to be adding.
Have you attempted to contact the performance unit assessor. You can message them on the platform.
The six week training is more about making you safe onsite, when you are out doing your portfolio, and about giving you basic electrical knowledge.
Please don't feel that you have been thrown into a pool and forgotten. Once you leave the centre, staff should be available for advice and if that's not the case, please let someone know.
There is a performance assessor available to send out support along with examples for you to use to create the site diaries.
The way you need to approach it is to look at it as a record of what your are experiencing on site. Anything you have no experience of or cannot evidence using photos etc can possible be evidence on site with a discussion or direct observation by the assessor, so don't try to make things fit.
For example, the first criteria on the first site diary, How do you know what the Health and Safety rules are on site? If you have done your H&S exam you will know which legislation governs H&S and if you have been on site you will have had an induction of some description. Write about those and take a photo of H&S notices and any documents you may have signed H&S wise.
Read the updated site diaries, hopefully they make more sense. Also look in the FAQ and Help section. There is a lot of information in there as well.
Above all contact your assessor.

Hi Jason and Nate

Hi Jason

Have you looked at the recent site diaries. There is more explanation on each one, telling you exactly what you need to be adding.
Have you attempted to contact the performance unit assessor. You can message them on the platform.
The six week training is more about making you safe onsite, when you are out doing your portfolio, and about giving you basic electrical knowledge.
Please don't feel that you have been thrown into a pool and forgotten. Once you leave the centre, staff should be available for advice and if that's not the case, please let someone know.
There is a performance assessor available to send out support along with examples for you to use to create the site diaries.
The way you need to approach it is to look at it as a record of what your are experiencing on site. Anything you have no experience of or cannot evidence using photos etc can possible be evidence on site with a discussion or direct observation by the assessor, so don't try to make things fit.
For example, the first criteria on the first site diary, How do you know what the Health and Safety rules are on site? If you have done your H&S exam you will know which legislation governs H&S and if you have been on site you will have had an induction of some description. Write about those and take a photo of H&S notices and any documents you may have signed H&S wise.
Read the updated site diaries, hopefully they make more sense. Also look in the FAQ and Help section. There is a lot of information in there as well.
Above all contact your assessor.
Are you an employee of options skill? I see they have offices in Wembley and one of the posters are from the London area. It would be great if you can help these guys out!

Are you an employee of options skill? I see they have offices in Wembley and one of the posters are from the London area. It would be great if you can help these guys out!
Yes I am.
I will absolutely help them out. What you guys need to realise is that no one expects them to understand the wordy criteria. We have trouble ourselves interpreting what is required. It so important that they keep asking questions of the assessors and trainers.
There are a lot of support documents and assistance available.

Keep asking if you don't understand.
Don't overthink it.
Don't try to make things fit. If you have experienced something, evidence it. If not leave it blank come back to it. If you have experienced something the criteria will make more sense.
Take as many photos as you can without becoming annoying to your employer. Tip, put phone on video and take screen grabs.
Look at the FAQ and Help sections.
Have a go. Attempt the first site diary and send to your assessor. Get feedback.

That's great! @Robstrying has previously been asking for advice regarding the courses offered by Option Skills too.

Does the course the students are enrolled on enable them to apply for a gold card or register with a professional body once completed or are there other steps once they have completed this qualification? I'm not familiar with EAL, only City and Guilds and Higher Nationals.

That's great! @Robstrying has previously been asking for advice regarding the courses offered by Option Skills too.

Does the course the students are enrolled on enable them to apply for a gold card or register with a professional body once completed or are there other steps once they have completed this qualification? I'm not familiar with EAL, only City and Guilds and Higher Nationals.
Hi Aaron

I am happy to answer any questions. problem is the learners should be directing these at the trainers and assessors.

The qual Options Skills offers is L3 NVQ. This comprises of L2 and L3 units, so not done separately.

After completion of Knowledge units (exams) performance Units (portfolio) 18th Edition and AM2 (which must be completed at a neutral centre) they can claim their Gold Card.

CPS Competent Person Schemes) registration rules changed in Sept 2021 for registration. Previously learners who had completed Domestic Installer (Part P) and Test and Inspection, after a time of experience could apply for Domestic Installer CPS registration. This qualification became unrecognised when rules changed.

The current rules are you must have completed an NVQ or Experienced Worker Route (for those with older qualifications) plus testing and Inspection plus two years experience after qualification with some supervisory. Then they would be confirmed as approved electrician in JIB standards and gain full approval from CPS scheme.

They can still opt for Domestic Installer by I don't see why they would if they can be fully approved for any work.

Hello guys,

Thanks guys,

-Jason

Hi,
Have you finished off with your portfolio?
Thanks

Reply to EAL Level 3 NVQ portfolio help? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net