Discuss Earth bond clamp for oil pipe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dnjr

-
Reaction score
Dear All
Got a board change to do where there is an incoming oil pipe.
Plastic tank with PVC covered copper pipe most of the way. Comes inside and its just copper coming up through the floor. Did an IR test and got 0.00 so it needs bonding ( as I understand it its got to be under 0.02 to not need bonding)
Problem is the pipe is only about 8 or 9 mm dia. and i cant find a small enough clamp.
Someone suggested either a P clip or strap banding but they dont seem very professional. what are people using please
cheers
dnjr

You can get Ezybond clamps but they only go down to 15mm from what I have seen. There are rumours these are not in compliance with BS951 but I believe the manufacturer has resolved this.

You can get Ezybond clamps but they only go down to 15mm from what I have seen. There are rumours these are not in compliance with BS951 but I believe the manufacturer has resolved this.
Hi Westward. Yep seen them but as you say dont go small enough. I cant be the only person needing to bond oil pipes. there must be something out there....

You might want to check your maths there!

teach me to read first
IR was 0.00M ( as I understand it , if its below 0.02M then it needs bonding if its above 0.02M then no need. Think I meant to put Over 0,02 but typed under...
Am I right this time davesparks ?

over 0.22Meg means it's not extraneous and does not need bonding. if under that, a continuity test is required from pipe to MET. a reading below 1.0 ohms suggests that it is bonded through other services, e.g.water and may not need additional bonding.

over 0.22Meg means it's not extraneous and does not need bonding. if under that, a continuity test is required from pipe to MET. a reading below 1.0 ohms suggests that it is bonded through other services, e.g.water and may not need additional bonding.

Hi Teletrix
I thought it was 0.022M ( 22000 ohms)
over that dont bond under that and it needs bonding
I did a continuity test and got 0.06 ohms I had it in mind it had to be below 0.05 to be acceptable (GN3) could be wrong, its been a long day
I cant find either a oil pipe bond or a water pipe bond so getting worried and going belt and braces

that 0.05 figure has to be the most misquoted figure of all time. it's the max. resistance betweem a bonding cable and the pipe to which it is bonded. I.E the resistance across the bonding clamp from cable to pipe.

that 0.05 figure has to be the most misquoted figure of all time. it's the max. resistance betweem a bonding cable and the pipe to which it is bonded. I.E the resistance across the bonding clamp from cable to pipe.
Precisely. It's just to demonstrate that the clamp is adequately connected to the pipe!

teach me to read first
IR was 0.00M ( as I understand it , if its below 0.02M then it needs bonding if its above 0.02M then no need. Think I meant to put Over 0,02 but typed under...
Am I right this time davesparks ?

Also including some clue as to the units is quite important, I didn't quite register that you used an IR tester and was thinking in ohms.

My opinion on this subject is not exactly in line with the popular opinion on the forum, I'm inclined to interpret the regulations as requiring incoming services that be bonded at point of entry.

Reply to Earth bond clamp for oil pipe in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock