• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Earth Cable Submerged in Water - How Serious Is This? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

NickCB

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I know very little about electrics but this can't be good. I recently noticed that a hard-to-get-to drain at the back of my house which takes rain water and runoff from washing up and clothes washing has become blocked and now seems to be almost constantly submerged (please see attached pic). Unblocking it is urgent, but right near the blocked drain there's what appears to be an earth cable attached to the ground, also now submerged. The cable runs somewhere to the floor above. I suspect it's been like this for several weeks, if not months.

There have been no problems with any of the electrical appliances in the house so far and the circuit breaker hasn't tripped at all. I have a number of question for you wise ones:

1) Is the water you see in the pic currently electrified? Would I get shocked if I stood in it?
2) If I flipped the circuit breaker to turn of all the electricity in the house, would i be safe to stand in the water? (i really need to unblock that drain),
3) Even after the drain is unblocked and dried out, how likely is it that the earth wire will be useless and need replacing?

I know how dumb this situation probably looks, but I'm in Thailand and they....do things differently here lol. I was thinking about just reaching out of the window to try and unblock the drain with a pole first, but the only poles I have are metallic so I guess it could be hazardous.

This seems to be pretty urgent, so I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot.

Nick

Attachments

• Earth Cable Submerged in Water - How Serious Is This? blocked_drain_leccy_e - EletriciansForums.net
    blocked_drain_leccy_e.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 27

Reply to Earth Cable Submerged in Water - How Serious Is This? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back