Discuss Earth rod driving stud size in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's strange isn't it how we perceive others, I have written above about elderly couples without a thought that I am in my mid 70's and would be considered to be in that group. ?
I'm more concerned that you live in a "commune" ! Have you given up all worldly possessions ? Do you share everything ? Smoke weed all day ??

I've driven a total of 3 earth rods. The first was sent home with a sledge hammer, many years ago. The other two were added a couple of years ago and started with an SDS that was quickly abandoned in favour of the trusty sledge hammer. Through softer areas the sledge was much faster. When I hit harder ground and obstructions the sledge was similarly much faster.

In short; driving earth rods with an SDS drill might be a less labour intensive option, but wastes an awful lot of time. I don't care for this method, but then I don't have to drive earth rods on a regular basis ?

sledgehammer every time, and get Glennspark to wield the hammer. if he can't drive it in, nobody can.. butI'd hold it with a 3 ft. pair of blacksmith's tongs. i like my knuckles.

I used some 2m lengths M16 stainless studding recently as earth rods. Cut then end with an angle grinder to look a bit like a drill bit then pre-drilled 1m using a 20mm SDS drill and then used a 'stud nut runner' with a SDS to 1/2" drive adaptor to screw them in like enormous screws.

Enormous screws. Hmm, there must be a double entendre I can slip in at this point...

I've driven a total of 3 earth rods. The first was sent home with a sledge hammer, many years ago. The other two were added a couple of years ago and started with an SDS that was quickly abandoned in favour of the trusty sledge hammer. Through softer areas the sledge was much faster. When I hit harder ground and obstructions the sledge was similarly much faster.

In short; driving earth rods with an SDS drill might be a less labour intensive option, but wastes an awful lot of time. I don't care for this method, but then I don't have to drive earth rods on a regular basis ?
It's too unpredictable but I don't see how an SDS would be any use we just have earth rod adapters for demolition hammers

I did use a sledgehammer for one job today though and managed 7.2m total

Having spent some time in the Piling job,where motorised percussive driving,is usually faster and easeir,i prefer using an old TE72 hilti,and that gets through most materials,given chance.

I wouldn't be shy of using a sledge...i own two 56lb items,which nobody is rushing to borrow,but they are used with the acceptance of damage,to both animal and mineral..?

.....i actually got an eemoji to stick....Trump will be gone,before i work out how.....

Does anyone have the spec of the TE72, as it is no longer made seems to be a bit sparse of detail, trying to compare it with this:

• 1500W
  • Drill, Hammer Drill & Chisel
  • Max. Impact Energy: 8J
  • Anti-Vibration System
  • Mechanical Safety Clutch
  • Magnesium Gearbox
  • No Brake
  • On/Off Switch
  • 6-Speed
  • Replaceable Brushes
Mostly interested in the Impact Energy.

Does anyone have the spec of the TE72, as it is no longer made seems to be a bit sparse of detail, trying to compare it with this:

• 1500W
  • Drill, Hammer Drill & Chisel
  • Max. Impact Energy: 8J
  • Anti-Vibration System
  • Mechanical Safety Clutch
  • Magnesium Gearbox
  • No Brake
  • On/Off Switch
  • 6-Speed
  • Replaceable Brushes
Mostly interested in the Impact Energy.
I don't have my set of "Top Trumps" for hammer drills with me right now...

Can be difficut to find out very much of anything about Hilti, beyond prices and details of maintenance contracts.
All I wish to compare is the Impact energy between different machines, my Hitachi SDS @ 3.2 joules is a bit of a lightweight, however the cheap and cheerful Titan @ 8 joules is a bit of a beast in comparison, drills into concrete and Granite without much of a problem, but is very heavy to work with free hand.

Can't find much on the TE72, but the TE80 is 11.2 joules so it does look as though the TE72 may be better than the Titan at driving in an earth rod.

Last edited:
All I wish to compare is the Impact energy between different machines, my Hitachi SDS @ 3.2 joules is a bit of a lightweight, however the cheap and cheerful Titan @ 8 joules is a bit of a beast in comparison, drills into concrete and Granite without much of a problem, but is very heavy to work with free hand.

Can't find much on the TE72, but the TE80 is 11.2 joules so it does look as though the TE72 may be better than the Titan at driving in an earth rod.
Drilling is very different to driving earth rods I don't think you should drive rods with an SDS constantly unless you have a big budget for new drills

The breaker I carry for daily use is 39 joules "blow energy" according to the manufacturer

The Socket has arrived and its 26mm across the flats, thanks to those that helped especially Julie for the vernier calliper picture and measurements.

Reply to Earth rod driving stud size in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock