Discuss Earthing a T5 Fluorescent Fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a row of fluorescent fittings under the kitchen wall cupboards - all fed from a fused spur at one end. One of the fittings (near the end of the run) has failed and I've bought a replacement but unlike the existing fittings, the replacement requires an earth connection. The existing fittings are all linked by two core wire and plugs from fitting to fitting so putting in three core all the way along from the fused spur would be a bit of a pain. On the other hand the new fitting will be situated near the extractor hood for the cooker, which has an earth connection. Would it be in order to leave in the two core all the way along and simply add a single core earth wire from the earth on the hood (less than a metre)?

The earth connection to the T5 appears to be needed for kicking the startup (metal band along the length of the tube) rather than for safety purposes because the fitting is largely plastic.

You would be beter off changing the first light near the spur for the new one and using that fitting to replace the faulty one, I would not sugest using the earth from the extractor.

You would be beter off changing the first light near the spur for the new one and using that fitting to replace the faulty one, I would not sugest using the earth from the extractor.
Unfortunately the fittings are all different sizes so can't do a swop - I did think about that!

Any particular reason why using the extractor earth would be a no-no? They are both fed by fused spurs from the same ring.

Maybe will. Shame really though because it's a top quality fitting - far better than the existing stuff!
It's dated, everything like this is LED now.

It's dated, everything like this is LED now.
I know - ideally I would have ripped the whole lot out and replaced with LED but the rest are OK and I've got a collection of spare tubes so it seemed the quickest solution. They're not that easy to source though, especially in the small sizes.

Any particular reason why using the extractor earth would be a no-no? They are both fed by fused spurs from the same ring.
Just a bit of a bodge , The problem with using the extractor earth is that if at some point someone comes along and disconnected the extractor they may remove the earth to the light at the same time. If this is for your own house where know one else is going to touch the electrics then I guess it would be OK , Maybe put a label on the new earth cable identifying what its for for future reference.

Reply to Earthing a T5 Fluorescent Fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock