Discuss Earthing Arrangement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Main bonding should be on the consumers side of the stopcock, the lead pipe is before the stopcock, therefore the bond should be on the copper and not the lead.
You know full well that by some means or other that pipework requires a main protective bond.

It should be but as can be seen from the picture that is not really possible. If the OP feels the need to bond the short section of extraneous lead before the insulating joint I see no reason why it cant go on the lead.

It is already connected to the first available bit of copper after the stopcock, and anybody can see that the plastic fitting is not a long enough insulating section to negate the need for bonding.

As long as you can find a clamp suitable for fitting to a lead pipe then yes an additional connection can be made to it, lead being a soft material will continue to move and give way over time so a normal pipe clamp will become loose over time and so is not suitable.
[automerge]1591479076[/automerge]
You know full well that by some means or other that pipework requires a main protective bond.

Yes, and it already has a main bond connected as required to the first available bit of solid metal pipe on the consumers side of the point of isolation.

It is already connected to the first available bit of copper after the stopcock, and anybody can see that the plastic fitting is not a long enough insulating section to negate the need for bonding.

As long as you can find a clamp suitable for fitting to a lead pipe then yes an additional connection can be made to it, lead being a soft material will continue to move and give way over time so a normal pipe clamp will become loose over time and so is not suitable.

[automerge]1591479076[/automerge]

Yes, and it already has a main bond connected as required to the first available bit of solid metal pipe on the consumers side of the point of isolation.
they are not connected to the main bond the plumber connected it this way to his cross bonding on combi pipes
[automerge]1591481807[/automerge]
I'll try and shed some light for you.
In the event of a fault on your electrical system conductive parts (ie earthed metal parts of the electrical installation such as a metal light fitting or washing machine case) may experience a rise in potential relative to the general mass of earth which is at zero volts or thereabouts. Within a building that rise in potential is unlikely to be a serious hazard because a person in contact with a conductive part during the fault is likely to be stood on an electrically insulating surface such as a wooden floor. However the metallic water service is in contact with the general mass of earth and will introduce that potential into the building. Now there is a hazard because a person may be in contact with both a conductive part and the water service at the same time the fault is in progress and subject to a shock. By bonding both together the possibility of a potential difference is reduced. Where there is an insulating section immediately after the water service enters the property the rest of the copper pipework in the house has effectively been disconnected from the general mass of earth and so does not require bonding because it can no longer introduce an earth potential.
In your case the rest of the house pipework is isolated from the earth potential by the plastic joint, only the short section of lead and the filter are extraneous. As Tel stated what are the chances of contact between that and a conductive part for the duration of a fault? If you think there is then bond the lead. But you DO NOT NEED TO BOND THE REST OF THE PIPEWORK AFTER THE PLASTIC JOINT. In fact doing so may actually increase the shock risk in the event of a fault.
[automerge]1591478252[/automerge]

NO!
so this is wrong then i have highlighted in yellow
[automerge]1591482568[/automerge]
they are not connected to the main bond the plumber connected it this way to his cross bonding on combi pipes

and is the small plastic tee enough of an insulater to negate no main bonding

Attachments

• earthbonding.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/years/2019/75-may-2019/to-bond-or-not-to-bond/

To bond or not to bond....is worth a read.

In this reference it says:

In addition, the following statement has been added to Regulation 411.3.2.

“Metallic pipes entering the building having an insulating section at their point of entry need not be connected to the protective equipotential bonding.”

I hope this is helpful to answering the OP's question.

nota bene: TonyChitty - I do not in the EF ever provide public advice on the wiring regulations - all I have done is point out an IET reference on the subject. Take the sage advice of the professional electricians who know the WRs much better than me and how to apply them in particular circumstances.

Last edited:
I disagree with that entirely, any plastic insert between two sections of copper pipe will electrically isolate one section from the other. If that was not the case it would be a requirement to bridge any plastic joints on copper pipework with a copper conductor. It is not a requirement.
[automerge]1591517092[/automerge]

[automerge]1591482568[/automerge]

and is the small plastic tee enough of an insulater to negate no main bonding
It is not wrong and the plastic tee is sufficient to negate the need for bonding on the rest of the pipework

Last edited by a moderator:
TonyChitty, here's how I like to think about it:

Think about the path the current would take if a human were to receive a shock while simultaneously touching an exposed conductive part, and an (unbonded) extraneous metal pipe, while a fault to earth occurred.

From the transformer, the current would pass through:
1 - Line conductor
2 - Faulty exposed conductive part
3 - Human
4 - Metal pipe
5 - Metal pipe at point of entry to building
6 - General mass of earth
7 - Neutral pole of transformer.

Without bonding, there is a large potential difference between point 2 and 4, so the human gets a shock.

By bonding the metal pipe at the point of entry to the building, the potential between point 2 and point 5 are equal if an earth fault occurs. No current will flow between these points, and the human is safe.

This is why we bond at the point the point the pipe enters the building - it doesn't matter what you put between points 4 and 5 - plastic joints, pipework, and so on - the potential between 2 and 5, and everything in between, is still equal, so no current flows between these points.

TonyChitty, here's how I like to think about it:

Think about the path the current would take if a human were to receive a shock while simultaneously touching an exposed conductive part, and an (unbonded) extraneous metal pipe, while a fault to earth occurred.

From the transformer, the current would pass through:
1 - Line conductor
2 - Faulty exposed conductive part
3 - Human
4 - Metal pipe
5 - Metal pipe at point of entry to building
6 - General mass of earth
7 - Neutral pole of transformer.

Without bonding, there is a large potential difference between point 2 and 4, so the human gets a shock.

By bonding the metal pipe at the point of entry to the building, the potential between point 2 and point 5 are equal if an earth fault occurs. No current will flow between these points, and the human is safe.

This is why we bond at the point the point the pipe enters the building - it doesn't matter what you put between points 4 and 5 - plastic joints, pipework, and so on - the potential between 2 and 5, and everything in between, is still equal, so no current flows between these points.
I'll try and shed some light for you.
In the event of a fault on your electrical system conductive parts (ie earthed metal parts of the electrical installation such as a metal light fitting or washing machine case) may experience a rise in potential relative to the general mass of earth which is at zero volts or thereabouts. Within a building that rise in potential is unlikely to be a serious hazard because a person in contact with a conductive part during the fault is likely to be stood on an electrically insulating surface such as a wooden floor. However the metallic water service is in contact with the general mass of earth and will introduce that potential into the building. Now there is a hazard because a person may be in contact with both a conductive part and the water service at the same time the fault is in progress and subject to a shock. By bonding both together the possibility of a potential difference is reduced. Where there is an insulating section immediately after the water service enters the property the rest of the copper pipework in the house has effectively been disconnected from the general mass of earth and so does not require bonding because it can no longer introduce an earth potential.
In your case the rest of the house pipework is isolated from the earth potential by the plastic joint, only the short section of lead and the filter are extraneous. As Tel stated what are the chances of contact between that and a conductive part for the duration of a fault? If you think there is then bond the lead. But you DO NOT NEED TO BOND THE REST OF THE PIPEWORK AFTER THE PLASTIC JOINT. In fact doing so may actually increase the shock risk in the event of a fault.
[automerge]1591478252[/automerge]

NO!
if i do bond the lead pipe back to the MET am i not in theory reconnecting the extraneous part back into the system any way as my gas pipe is also connected to it and with the combination boiler all supplementry bonded together all the copper will be connected anyway

There's no reason not to bond both the lead and copper if that's what you want to do. My contention is that it is not required to bond the copper past the plastic joint, and debatable whether there is sufficient extraneous lead present even for that to be required. But if you feel the need go ahead, it wont do any harm.

There's no reason not to bond both the lead and copper if that's what you want to do. My contention is that it is not required to bond the copper past the plastic joint, and debatable whether there is sufficient extraneous lead present even for that to be required. But if you feel the need go ahead, it wont do any harm.
Thanks for explaining this to me in great detail thankyou and everyone that replied to my original post.

Reply to Earthing Arrangement in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock