Discuss Earthing & electrical suppliers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening..

So, I'm working on a house that has been split into 2 flats and have been asked to do a board change in the downstairs flat. The earthing arrangement is TNS but I noticed that there is an earth connected between the neutral of the cut out and the earth terminal block to create a PME, on disconnecting this earth I am getting a Ze reading of 107 ohms with an earth cable connected to the incoming cable sheath. I rang Northern Powergrid and they informed me that they don't provide earths in this part of Leeds, fair enough earth electrode time.
But there is also a second Live and neutral going to the upstairs flat (no earth going up so I'm guessing that there is a home made PME up there also) which the landlord of the downstairs flat has just bought, I think I'm right in saying that the electrical supplier is responsible for this live and neutral. Would I have to install another earth electrode for the upstairs flat or could I share the one I'm installing downstairs?

There is a difference between supplying a new earth and maintaining an existing one, my understanding is that if one is provided then the dno must maintain it, if they subsequently remove the existing earth then they have to make it safe. a good example is a job i have seen in the past where western power changed a service head/cut out and left it without an earth, this was on a former barn/farm house and now owned by a solicitor. the new owner wasted no time in threatening western power with action and they subsequently admitted their mistake and fitted a rod. but they initially told the owner to get his own electrician to fit the rod! lesson. the dno often do not know there left hand from the right and make it up as they go.

Don't mix up TN-C-S and PME. PME is one type of TN-C-S system, and if the network isn't PME then simply connecting onto the DNO's neutral won't make it one.

I'm having a problem envisioning someone telling me that they "don't provide earths in a part of town..." without a bit more detail regarding the earth that was provided, at one time,if it is an original TNS.

Unless that part of Leeds is mostly paxolin,sub-terre ;)

Reply to Earthing & electrical suppliers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock