Discuss Earthing quiery in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PhilRance1950

Hi all
Just a quick one , got called out today problem with lighting circuit. A new split board fitted with an Rcbo for the lighting circuit. Insulation tested the circuit from the last lamp all ok. Then went to test from the switch , No earthing in the switch's .Yet all light fittings were earthed , checked in the attic to find a 1.5mm earth running from each fitting back to the board.Checked in BS7671 2008 unable to find anything . Does anybody have any idea's regarding this?

I was always taught to take the earth wire through to the switch (even if there was no earthing terminal there) and for expansion at a latter date, or for example the homeowner changes all the switches to chrome metal.

This is defo bad practice, but I am not sure where it is covered in the Regs?

As far as im aware this is acceptable providing a label has been fixed to the cu stating that no class I switches to be fitted due to lack of earth at the switch.

I have done this myself, as im sure you can appreciate, because most clients would not want their house ripped apart just to drop an earth wire to the switch.

Best practice guide viewable here:

Linky: Best Practice Guide - Approved contractor scheme - NICEIC Group

That is interesting, nice one Jasons6930. Saves some time on the job!

Reply to Earthing quiery in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
Hi, while carrying out an EICR at a farm cottage on Friday i came up against a problem early on. Whilst measuring the Ze the reading i obtained...
Replies
Views
Old two core cable in a lighting circuit with no cpc at any point All points had metal fixtures and fittings class1 At two points the live loop...
Replies
Views
DIY query Have narrowed down the source of an occasional trip to one light circuit which is a varilight v-pro master dimmer slave set up. This...
Replies
Views
Hi, plumber here so please be gentle (or take the p-ss ;) ), I am supposed to be installing a UV water steriliser for a customer. I have some...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock